i wanna redo my aqua scape

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by billielewis3, May 25, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

like the title says, but my only concern is that it may trap some snails and sandsifters in the sand bed, so i not worry about that?

2. Click Here!

3. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Don't worry about it. Just my .02

4. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

thanks nooze, ill post some before and afters, just for you

5. Laborator

Laborator Astrea Snail

Just do it! Otherwise it will bug you everyday!

6. lyal

lyal Astrea Snail

Animals are pretty great at getting out of the way doing moves. I'm usually pretty paranoid and try to check under my placements, but otherwise haven't had any major issues *knock on wood*

7. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

When moving them around just move them slowly. If there's a shrimp or something under a rock give it a sec or 2 to get out of the way.
    Redone my scape several times and never had a problem. At least none that was noticeable.

8. Click Here!

9. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

You really don't want your LR sitting on top of the sand anyhow, for that reason...You don't want "sifters" to be able to dig beneath it, thus making it unstable. Carefully move the substrate away from where you want to put the rock, and sit it on the tank bottom.

What you DON'T want to do is stir the sandbed...

10. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

When people redo their aquascaping, isn't that when trouble can start? I've read and seen videos where people move their rocks around, stir up the sand and makes corals really unhappy. Then people get frustrated and the tank starts to go down hill...

11. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Yep...even in a SSB, there are compounds in the anoxic layers of the substrate that you do NOT want in your water column, such as hydrogen sulfide.

It's best to disturb an established sandbed as little as possible, unless you run CC. If you run a CC substrate, it's best to vacuum half of it at a time on a regular basis.

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I would say just be careful when moving things around - I also know it depends on the depth of your sand bed and if you don't have anything in it turning it over (CUC).....in terms of things falling on livestock - I've moved stuff many times with remarkably everything always getting out of the way :) If you have a deep sand bed I think then it can cause major problems to disturb it.

Please do post a before and after - I'm really interested in people's scapes because I need a new one and like to get ideas.

Oops....I would defer to Renee' - her post popped up right after I posted this.....Listen to her :)