I think something's not right with my clown

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Draco, Nov 14, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Draco

Draco Astrea Snail

I've had a pair of clowns for a year (This month). They were in a 9 gal nano. Moved with me 3 months ago to my new place, then upgraded to a 28 gal nanocube 4 weeks ago.

I did a water change last week. I've added a protein skimmer added some new corals yesterday (hammer and a leather). I did dip them before putting them into the tank.

Today, he's been hiding in the corner of the tank. First he was in the lower corner, just sitting there.. then I fed them. he went crazy for the food as usual. Then when that was gone, he went to the upper corner of the tank. It looked like he was having trouble swimming down. Waited a bit and fed again, and he went crazy for the food.

His color is not as bright. He looks petrified of the other clown when she gets close. He'd start shaking when she gets close to him. he has always been smaller than she, but today he looked a bit thinner than usual.

I am wondering if he's being abused by his clown girlfriend? I am pretty sure he's a male since he's smaller than the other.

all water testing is perfect, I checked earlier today

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

What kind of clowns? Any pics?

4. Draco

Draco Astrea Snail

I honestly forget what kind they are exactly.. tank raised percula or ocelleris (however you spell it)

Here's the best pic I got.. of course I got algae on the glass there, lol

Attached Files:

5. Draco

Draco Astrea Snail

and this is the other that I believe is a female

Attached Files:

6. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Could just be clowns being clowns. Thats kinda what they do, be weird.

mdbostwick likes this.
  7. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

True! Just wait until you see one of them laying around, napping on rocks/coral looking completely dead.

8. Click Here!

9. Draco

Draco Astrea Snail

I've never seen him act this way before. When I see a pet do something unusual, I worry! I will keep an eye on him and hope he's just being nutty as you guys suggest, lol

Sorry, it really isn't an emergency anymore, huh?

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

He looks healthy physically in the image. My clowns have hidden in corners and under rocks for unknown reason extended periods, as much as 2 week for no reason obvious to me. Keep testing your water, and watch for the usual disease culprits, like ich and brooklynella.

Matt Rogers likes this.
  11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah these look like Perculas. I was thinking if these were Maroons that would explain a lot but I agree with others here. Following.

12. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Yea, I wouldn't worry right now. As said, clowns can be odd. Years ago, when I had my first pair of clowns, my female always beat up the male. Anyways, one day I looked into the tank, only to see her swimming around the tank with the male in her mouth! She had him laying sideways and was holding him by his belly! I laughed hard! And they lived years after that. He was whipped bad!

DSC reef and Corailline like this.