I think my Red Monti Cap is confused!

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Astrick117, May 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

I have what I believe is a red monti, which is supposed to grow upward and then whirl. It is growing very fast and has doubled in size since I bought a tiny frag of it about 1 1/2 months ago.

The problem is that it seems to be growing down, not up. It doesn't seem to be encrusting, but it is following the shape of the rock. Is this something to be worried about? Is it just an encrusting monti and not a cap?

Also, any thoughts on what the growth is coming off the left side? It's hard to see from the pick but it is cylindrical and curls slightly.

(sorry for the terrible phone pic- I really need to upgrade)

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Most likely you have flow going up to the surface where the coral is at.

4. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Can you elaborate a little more- are you saying that it is because I have flow pointed at the rock/ at the coral?

I tried to position my powerheads in a way that provide good flow to the area, but aren't pointed right at it.

I have two powerheads at the top of my tank that are pointed slightly downward and one that is at the bottom sweeping behind my rockscape.

What can I do to get it to grow upward?

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

If it is growing downward that means it is either looking to get more of its mass anchored to the rock or the water is flowing up towards the surface. Your pump placement may be the issue. You will need to get something in the water so you can see how the water is moving in the area of the cap. Given the size of the coral you will need to wait until it starts extending away from the rock a good amount before you can decide what the issue is.

6. Frick

Frick Bristle Worm

Your coral should be confused, because it is not a Montipora capricornis. Most montis that get IDed as "caps" are not actually capricornis species at all, but one of the other 75ish species of Montipora.

The Montipora is growing as it should, now to properly ID it.

7. Frick

Frick Bristle Worm

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

I respectfully disagree...that is a monti cap

10. Frick

Frick Bristle Worm

It's growing downward and does not have the texture or coralites of Montipora capricornis.

What makes you say it is?

11. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

I have a bunch of them in my tank and thats how they grow IME..they encrust to get a good base and then start growing out...mine always encrust a bit first

12. Frick

Frick Bristle Worm

Out of the 75ish Montipora species it could be, how do you know yours or this one is a capricornis?