I Think My Liverock is Cured .. please confirm...

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by aseidman00, Sep 9, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aseidman00

aseidman00 Astrea Snail

I set up my tank just 2 and a half weeks ago. Its a 30 Gallon Extra-high with 50 pounds of Tonga Live rock from Dr. Mac or Pacific East Coast. The rock came in real nice and clean as it was in his curing vats for "a while" before he shipped it to me.

Since I have a fish only salt water tank for years now and have experienced long cycle times, I decided not to rush and test for ammonia too soon. Yesterday I ran my firsts tests with salifert test kits. The results were as follows.

0 PPM Ammonia
    .1 PPM Nitrite

The presence of Nitrite tells me that I DID have amonia at one time and that it has already been converted to nitrite.

I do understand that .1 PPM Nitire is still too much and that I am not yet finished with the curing of the rock.

Still, the way that I interpret the data is that I am alomost there in just 2.5 weeks. Please tell me if I am interpreting the data correctly. If I am.... wow, that's pretty fast ! when can I start to add inverts ?

2. Click Here!

3. pdlman

pdlman Astrea Snail

Re: I Think My Liverock is Cured .. please confirm

I have a 75 with 150 ils of LR, and mine cycled in 1 week with 3 damsel's. It has been set up for 2yrs now and doing great. I started putting inverts in after that first week-and 1ppm-I wouldnt worry about I am always at 12.5 ppm and it has never been a problem with any of the fish,corals, etc. Good luck

4. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

Re: I Think My Liverock is Cured .. please confirm

i see your rock was shipped from california to ny. even with fully cured lr being shipped there will be some amount of die off and this realeases itself in the tank. especially if there were any sponges on it once a sponge is exposed to air its certain to die because it cannot expell the air it takes in. so it may cause a mini cycle even if your tank has been set up. just ride it out it should clear up.