i think my 2 clownfish have velvet disease help??

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by crystal, Apr 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crystal

crystal Skunk Shrimp

im not sure but i think my 2 clown fish have velvet disease.
    its only noticable when they are at the surface of the water nearer the light.its like a white dust on them theres no spots.theres not alot of it tho.

i have a 2 clowns 2 cleaner shrimp and 2 hermits in the tank.

i dont have a qt what shall i do.

there swimming around fine.
    they are eating well.im adding seachem garlic guard to there food.
    water parameters are fine.

will it go away on its own? can the fish fight it off?

ive been told to leave the lights off all the time
    weekley water changes
    feed them evey other day.
    but will this work??

i just gave them both a freshwater dip but i was told to leave them in there for 10 seconds which i did.they are back in the tank now.

what else can i do??

any help is appreciated

2. Click Here!

3. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

You may panicking over nothing. As long as they are eating and are being active, just continue with your normal routine. Sometimes fresh water dips cause more harm by stressing the fish out.

Also bare in mind, due to clownfish slime, Ich doesnt always look the way it would on another fish like a tang. Sometimes it is more speckled etc...

4. crystal

crystal Skunk Shrimp

well they do seem fine very active and eating.i will just continue with eveything as normal and keep an eye on them.

5. Conor

Conor Fire Worm

I'm not sure. Id continue with your daily routine. Don't panic tho because a disease like this is bound to happen some time in your new tank and its best to happen now while you only have 2 clowns. Continue with daily routines, make sure there eating! because if they eat they will more than likely fight it off.
    Good luck, keep us updated on how you get on.

Cheers :D

6. crystal

crystal Skunk Shrimp

yeah i will keep you updated thanks

7. crystal

crystal Skunk Shrimp

update.

the 2 clowns seem to be breathing heavy and i do think they have velvet.
    there still eating fine and are active but id rather treat it than leave it.

ive seen them rub them selves on the sand bed also
    so shall i set up a hospital tank?

what shall i use to treat them?
    and hows the best way to do it?

i have 2 cleaner shrimp and 2 hermits in the tank also will they catch it?

and if i can treat them will the disease still be in the tank?

8. Click Here!

9. crystal

crystal Skunk Shrimp

10. crystal

crystal Skunk Shrimp

well i wasnt worrying about nothing but 1 of my clowns died this morning.:( its strange as they have both been active and eating well but they still have the white dust on them.what am i doing wrong???

well im gonna see if the other clown makes it if not i will leave the tank fishless for around 8 weeks like ive been advised that way what ever is in the tank will die hopefully,then i will start again.

but listen to my story and tell me if this could have caused this.

a few weeks ago my original 2 clowns got sucked into my canister filter.i was waiting for a spare part but its sorted now.put them back in the tank.they were both very active and eating really well then
    2 days later 1 of the clowns dies and has this white dust all over him.a few days later i brough another clown to go with the 1 that was left.
    a few days ago i noticed this white dust on the both of them.they have also been really active and eating well then this morning my other original clown has died.so now i just have the new clown in there.could the stress of being sucked into the filter have caused the disease and then it spread???
    they were both fine till that happened.

11. ccscscpc

ccscscpc Millepora

I think that is a huge contributing factor to the clowns demise.

Also depends how long they were stuck in there and what force it pulled and jarred them around...it could have ripped some tissue and then from there you know the rest!!!

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If it is velvet, it's probably that the original clown passed it on to the new clown. Most likely the original fish had the disease before you put them in your tank. The fact that they got sucked into the filter probably just sped up their demise.