i think i screwed up again (newbie)

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jimmyward, Nov 30, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jimmyward

jimmyward Plankton

i watched a video about dr.tim's one and only. add to tank wait a couple days add fish. i ordered some along with ammonia. it arrived today. i added 55 drops ammonia to my 55gal tank. then the full bottle of one and only. started with honey dew list, 4 hrs later i set down on the forum to find out what i should do next. did not know i should turn off filters, i have a hang on back filter. have i killed my cycle?

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I would think not. However, you could play it safe by following the motto here: Go slow, let it grow.

Regardless, welcome to 3reef.

4. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

I've bad luck with One and Only. I wasted money on three bottles and a dead fish. Contacted Dr. Tim twice with no reply, very frustrating. I've had better luck with Biospira, which ironically he helped create before starting his own company.

A hang on the back filter should really have caused no issues. Just turn it off for the first few days or so.

The 55 drops should have gave you an ammonia reading between 2.0 - 3.0 ppm right? Just test for ammonia about every three days. once it drops to 1.0 ppm, add some more back to that 2.0 ppm range. Rinse and repeat until your bio-filter can process that ammonia in 24 hours. As long as you don't let ammonia rise above 5.0 ppm, you're fine.

5. jimmyward

jimmyward Plankton

thanks i feel better now.

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

If you are that impatient already you may be setting youself up for disaster and disappointment.

ONLY bad things happen quickly in this hobby, ALL good things take time.
    Forget the snake oils and miracle treatments and let your tank cycle naturally so the bacteria flourish and multiply. You will get a stronger, more diverse tank if you take your time.

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Yeah, Best to do a normal cycle. Forces you to give the tank more time.
    I have used stability before and the tank cycled in 10 days but there is something about a new tank fish don't like so you still need to give it time.

8. Click Here!

9. jimmyward

jimmyward Plankton

It's not that i'm impatient. I've read so many conflicting ways to cycle i just want to get started right. I'm glad i found this forum. My tank has been setup for 3 weeks and reading all the mis information on the web has prolonged the start of the cycle. i've printed the " A quick guide to fishless cycling". and will follow that. i tried with live rock, live sand and frequent water changes without any luck.

10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

There's a million ways to skin this cat. I don't think the filters will affect the cycle but leave off until it cycles.
    Next time.. a dead shrimp(in mesh bag) rotting for a few days sparks the ammonia and that's all you really need. Drops of ammonia will work I just feel like it's a more natural start with rotting flesh. Opinions on how to do a cycle vary wildly but I haven't seen experienced reefers that are Pro-bacteria in a bottle.

11. Trumptitan

Trumptitan Astrea Snail

One guy in our club did experimental urinate in tank to start cycle. It was effective but non the less gross. How ever you start the cycle let go till your parameters read correctly then let it go for a couple more weeks that way you dont inadvertent start too early.

What will your 55 be a FOWLR (fish only w/live rock) or you going reef? Any idea on stocking list?

12. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

+1 and there is always one way to know for sure...use test kits