I think i pissed off my clam, maybe

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Mkizla, Jul 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

I wanted to move my clam to the little bit to the right. Its been maybe 1 week since I added the Squamosa clam on the bottom of the tank. It was footed to the bottom of the tank, well Kinda, it was enough to just take it out with just few slight lift. Anyway the footing came off, the clam was closed for like 10 minute, then it opened to the original state.

Is this alright?

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Might be if no damage was done. In the future leave it be once it is established.

4. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

well hope his okay, his opened fully again, hopefully no damadge was done. It wasnt stuck to the tank like a super glue. Just very lightly

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Probably OK then. Clams should be placed in the final spot you want them unless they don't like it, then you need to get it a spot it will like.

6. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

how would someone take out a clam when they dont want it anymore, or outgrowing the tank or breaking down the tank?

7. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Probably do what you did.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

The threads that hold the clam to substrate are attached to the clam itself. Too hard a yank, and the clam could die. It's commonly said that clams shouldn't be lifted from the surface to which the've adhered, but when I bought my first clam, the vendor pulled the clam right off its rock, said she'd done it before, and it shouldn't be a problem. It wasn't. I've had the clam almost 6 months and it's doing well.

As far as the question you asked, I've read that a safe method is to use a sharp blade, like an X-Acto knife; and cut between the bottom of the clam, and the rock. This way does no damage.

I've read quite a bit that clams don't appreciate being moved. They don't like too much current, and they love their light. I took the advice of some folks I trust, and placed my clam onto a flat rock, so that if I ever wanted to move it, I just move the rock.