I think I may have just killed my clam. Can I get some help please?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Claic Yuzolt, Jan 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Claic Yuzolt

Claic Yuzolt Bubble Tip Anemone

I've had my Crocea Clam for about a week now and it had been moving around in its little nook all week turning slowly moving up on the rock, etc.

So today I decided I will try and put him higher up and everything might be better for him.

Well I go to grab him and I know to be careful because you don't want to pull hard if the foot as attached. Well I barely even lift and I really mean that, and the whole foot just detaches! the big round part wasn't even attached to anything but towards the back some of it seemed newer maybe? And is still attaches to the rock because I cant even pull it off.

Did I just kill my clam? What should I do?

2. Click Here!

3. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

the foot is hard to see ur not suppose to just pull the clam up u have to cut to foot with a razor and thats only for mature clams ,sorry that it happened but you will have to wait and see. any pictures?

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

You killed it buddy I just posed to somwe one last week that did the very same thing you never move a clam place then and forget them until they reach a size that they do not need to anchor down with the basil thread ligaments they send out little muscles like to clamp on and when you pull then it kills them in a day or to it will not open and then poof all gone just a lump in the shell base and gapping wide up . Takes knowing what to do to remove one for a transfer last one I did took a hr to cut the ligaments free . You may get ;lucky ? just leave it be and watch it and see be ready to toss it out when you see it swiveling up and shell starts to gape open from lack of muscle control .

1 person likes this.
  5. Claic Yuzolt

The thing was I didnt pull at all I just lifted up barely to see if it had actually clamped down or not and it just came off. The clam is opening like normal though.

I thought it could grow the foot back?

6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

some healthy ones can... but not usually

like for instance, they say that when there is a hole in the clams mantle they are doomed... mine had a 2cm hole in his mantle and within three days it was completely healed over and hes still alive and kicking

7. Claic Yuzolt

Here are some pictures of the foot and the clam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So is it a lost cause Dingo? Should I take it out now so it doesn't die in the tank and pollute it?

It opened as soon as the lights came on with no downtime and I just cant get over the fact that the foot came off when I barely touched/tried to lift it up.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You might be OK. I had the same thing happen with my maxima clam. Mine seemed to get rid of the thin piece of rock that it was shipped with. Like everyone said just monitor it closely. Mine is doing great.

10. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

no your not going to have any spikes until after it is dead...
    so just monitor it and make sure it doesnt die in the next few days!

11. Claic Yuzolt

This is a good sign right?

[​IMG]

It seems like its trying to re-attach already.

12. divott

divott Giant Squid

if its doin that, definitely a good sign. showin theres still life left in it. good luck claic