I think I may have done something bad

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by yptozmy, May 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

IMHO - The fish will appreciate the protection the net box affords it and will hopefully calm down and adopt a normal position

if this clown does survive this, you will need to decide between it and the Damsels IMHO

If it where me, I would remove some rock so I could capture the Humbugs, and then put the rock back differently to confuse the blues with regard territory and then the clown may escape the bullying when its released. ( I suspect there will be a few minor skirmishes all the same)

Steve

2. Click Here!

3. yptozmy

yptozmy Bristle Worm

Steve,

I did what you asked, he is in a small box now....

I would like to point out something that may alter things...

While trying to catch him, I actually had a very hard time, because he was swimming fast.... I dont think he is injured, just shy? Let me know what you guys think....also any idea on how long to keep it in the box?

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Any fish is going to be "shy" in a brand new tank with aggressive fish that are picking on it.

5. yptozmy

yptozmy Bristle Worm

So what are you suggesting? I mean, I cant just pick out the 2 damsels and throw them away haha...

When I moved this tank, I rearranged every single rock, so unless the damsels established territory in 6 days...then i'm not sure... *sigh*

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

It's not just about territory with damsels, they are just very aggressive fish. And the older they get, the more aggressive the become. If you aren't very attached to the damsels I would take them to a LFS, so that you can get more peaceful fish.

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

The laying flat on the surface is similar to what a beaten dog does when it lays as flat on the floor as possible

the fish is telling the other fish that it wants to take up no more territory than its presence itself needs

if and when it rights itself in the net box, investigates its surroundings and will look for food and eat food offered - thats when I would consider releasing it

but not with the bullies still in the tank or it will happen again

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. yptozmy

yptozmy Bristle Worm

I really love all the information you guys are giving me! So which damsels do you suggest I remove, the striped or the blues? The stripped seem to bother more, but thats just what I see. It is a near impossible task to catch damsels in a tank full of rocks.. but i'll try...

Could it be the bigger clown is a true percula?

10. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

The blue damsels tend to be the less aggressive of the damsels, though as they age they can become more aggressive. But definitely try to remove the striped as soon as possible. Good luck catching them!

11. yptozmy

yptozmy Bristle Worm

Haha thanks....last question, once I catch these, will they survive in a small container for 2 days, because the LFS is closed on Memorial Day?

12. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

What size container? And do you have a heater and something for water movement?