i think i have a DOA

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Puffer Chick, Feb 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

had to of been stress because the heat pack was still warm, even after the two hours when i got done trying to acclimate

2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Sometimes the pack can get too warm though...I've heard anyways.

4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

thanks and yea deffiently the worst feeling, now i know how kacy felt about pablo arriving DOA

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

hmmm thats interesting it was fairly warm like i actually liked how it felt, it was like "ahhhh so nice and warm"

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Ugh it's heartbreaking!! Really is.

7. booge1969

booge1969 Flamingo Tongue

you know guys i'm still new at this when it comes to saltwater, and i have yet to purchase fish online. hearing all of this makes me real apprehensive. i mean i have always wondered how those fish can live so long in those bags. please someone tell me this is the exception and not the rule.

8. Click Here!

9. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Most people get their fish just fine, but there are always accidents. However, most fish arrive fine. It is more stressful on the fish being shipped, obviously, but most make it okay.

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

yea
    ive ordered online once before and that fish arrived alive and perfectly healthy, but that was with a different company but i decided to give this company a try and it just so happened to somehow die during shipping, i dont blame the company though, just because i really dont think its their fault and maybe just a freak thing

and i think this is the exception, and i think a lot of it has to do with weather, stress, and how the fish was handled. And when you think of it all of the fish were probably shipped in little bags when they were taken from the ocean and were shipped to the seller

11. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

No same ole same lol, Im just waiting for the day, :| tried everything but copper and I dont believe on using copper on fish with sensitive skin such as the achilles.

12. Larz_1

Larz_1 Bristle Worm

I read something interesting about those heat packs they use for shipping (might have been one of the threads here?)

Anyway, it said that the reason they get hot is a chemical reaction to oxygen (air) and after they have been sealed in the box and use most of the available air - they start to cool down. Then when you open the box - more air - and they heat up again.

Don't know if that's true or not, but I will "feel" the heat packs as soon as I open my next order - just to see.