I Think I Get It

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by NaClCrocodile, Dec 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NaClCrocodile

NaClCrocodile Skunk Shrimp

Okay, so I've got a 75G tank. It wasn't RR and the bottom was tempered so I had to drill it. I ended up drilling it in the top left corner and just recently got everything in order to add water (yes!). I made a simple acrylic three sided box to silicone into the aquarium as an overflow in case of power outages. The bulkhead originally had a simple strainer and nothing more. As water went through it made some noise, alot of noise. Unfortunately I didn't know what to do because I can't use a durso because the box in only six inches deep. I decided to try an upside down 90* fitting - no air in, no noise right? Wrong! So I drilled a 1/4" hole into the 90* and fit some airline tubing and JB Weld'd it (gotta work, right?). No luck, even though it looks almost exactly like a durso so I don't get why it's still "flushing". Eurekia! My genius is now showing... Dursos are quiet because they've got more piping above the water level from which the air comes in. Obviously! Tomorrow I'll be going to the hardware store to pick up another 1.5" threaded street 90* and a 1" PVC cap. My plan is to drill a hole in the new 90* so that the hole is facing up when the original 90* is facing down. I'll glue a piece of PVC into the hole. I'll drill a a hole or two into the top of the cap and attach it up top. (Hopefully) Silent overflow for people in my position. Laptop pictures incoming!

2. Click Here!

3. NaClCrocodile

4. ddaasshh

ddaasshh Spaghetti Worm

thats pretty interesting, how hard was the drilling?

5. NaClCrocodile

Which drilling would that be? The tank, the small hole I've got now or the one I plan on doing tomorrow? Tomorrow's should be the worst, but only because it might be hard to secure the elbow. I just hope it works... Noise is quickly becoming the bane of my existance.