I suck at aquascaping-camera lessons yay! new scape #26

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by oldfishkeeper, Jun 21, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Well, tried to rescape today and I have determined that I totally suck at it. I think part of my problem is not being willing to let enough rock go. I still have all of my original marshall island rock that I got when I first set up my reef tank about 15 years ago or so.....It seems that no matter what I do, I end up with "wall of rock" look. I tried the two island look with a bridge but it just looks weird. Of course, I aquascaped around the best place for my sps frag lol......Also, I had some trouble gluing some frags....I put a generous amount on after drying off where I was going to put the glue, and then held in place...am I maybe not putting enough glue on?

Is keeping too much rock a barrier to getting an "island" look? I also think that my tank being a corner tank may make this more difficult as well......

Any and all advice appreciated!!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. Rhameolution

Rhameolution Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Can you post some pics? A FTS would be nice.

4. oldfishkeeper

Hubby still hasn't given me camera lessons....I'll have to see if I can get him to take a picture. I do have pics of my previous scape (which the new one is not much different).

Attached Files:

5. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

OFK. I you using a super glue gel then the top layer of glue will dry as soon as it touches the water. You have to use a generous amount and then once you get it to the spot you want twist and move so that top layer will move and the wet glue beneath will have contact. Hold it there for a min and then you should be good.
    I thought you had a good scape before so I don't know. Glw the scape.

6. diverdan

If that's the new scape, it looks good. I like it!

7. Rhameolution

Rhameolution Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I like what you had there! But the idea of a bridge sounds really cool also.

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

thanks for the glue tip. I think that's what I wasn't doing was twisting. May have to reglue a couple....I'll see.

The pic is of my old scape. I put sort of two walls and a sort of bridge between but it's cockeyed lol....Fish seem to like the new scape. They have a little more room to swim now. Pistol shrimp is **ssed because I messed with his multiple homes under the rock. Kept the biggest hole under the bridge.

I don't know, maybe I just need to get used to it. But I think if my scape was good, I shouldn't need to "get used to" it - aren't you supposed to love it? lol

10. diverdan

If you don't love it, keep trying. Don't settle. If you aren't happy then no one should be happy.

11. Marty

Marty Stylophora

Nothing wrong with a wall if you love it. I have a wall with many caves and arches and I love it. :)

12. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Tank looks good,if you would like to make a change maybe you could make a small formation in front of what you have.