I really need help with this guys!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Dingo, Jan 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Recently I have been developing some nasty cyano... but only on the sand, there is not even a speck anywhere else!
    Was never a problem until about last month... anyways, heres the deal:

I feed once every 2-3 days, cyclopeeze once a week
    my flow across sand bed is decently strong
    I recently beefed up my CUC to take care of this cyano but they arent taking care of it fast enough!
    nitrates are at zero and always have been at or below 5ppm.
    i have no other algae issues... except for coraline haha

only thing I can think of is this... My 175W 14K mh bulb is past due for a changing and instead of buying a new bulb i opted to upgrade to 250W mh and the fixture is currently on backorder so im waiting for that to get in :/
    So do old lights really cause cyano to grow like this?

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Yes, I would guess it's your light. When I had cyano I noticed that overnight it would nearly die without the lights. Within about 2 hours after lights on it was back full strength. Can you increase flow there at least until you get the new light?

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

o yea... now that i think about it, it does look much nicer in the mornings compared to a whole day of old light!

and the flow is really high, if i put it any higher the sand starts blowing though.

Hopefully they get these dang lights in soon!!!

5. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

+1 to it being your lights. Because they are old, the spectrum of light has changed and that will affect EVERYTHING in your tank. You will probably see slower coral growth also. Be careful when the new lights come in. Don't under estimate the power of the 175's. You can bleach out corals really quick if they are not used to the brighter lights.

1 person likes this.
  6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

i have noticed a lot of slow growth on my sps past month or two... :(
    tired of waiting for the lights already :angry: