I need sump ideas (can't use a tank)

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Kevin_E, Jul 10, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

The footprint under my stand restricts me to a 20" x 8" (I'll check on that tonight) footprint. This is under a 55 gallon tank, btw. What can I use as a sump in in place of a tank with a footprint that matches or is smaller than those dimensions.

I believe a 10 gallon tank will fit, so I am not 100% sure my numbers are right. A 10 gallon is quite small, however.

2. Click Here!

3. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

I have a 30g long under my 55. That fits perfectly.

4. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Is this a std. 55? If so, what's taking up all the room in your stand?

Altho I much prefer "longer/wider" sumps, if you have room for a 10 gal, look into a 18T (AKA 20XT)...it's like two 10 gals stacked on top of each other, so you can at least get about 10 gals of water in one as a sump.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

My stand won't allow it due to two center supports.

The stand is 10" wide in the center due to two 2 x 4s.

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

It is a standard. The stand was build precisely 13 inches deep. I have two 2 x 4s in the center for bracing.

I'll look into an 18 tall. Never heard of one, I wonder how difficult they are to find and how expensive they are.

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

We have a couple of the 18Ts...they worked well as growout tanks for us. They aren't crazy expensive either (seems like <$40, IIRC). Ours came from a LFS as opposed to chain store. If you live in So. CA, and can pick it up, you can have one of them cheap.

I see your issue tho... that center brace is killing you, which is why most stands have open backs (unless that is the back of your stand).

The other thing to do is to temporarily remove the center brace and add a 20L or 30L sump, then reinstall the brace (lots of peeps do this).

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

That's the front. The center brace is a 2x4 with a birch facade piece. There is another 2x4 in the back center (hidden behind front).

I am not sure I would be able to fit either a 20L or 30 L. Ill get more precise measurements tonight.

11. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

They make a 15 tall which is the same footprint as a 10G which would give you a littkle more volume but I agree with Greg, longer is better than taller when it comes to sumps. Another option would be two 10 or 15G tanks connected by bulkheads so one on each side of the center supports connected together so they act as one. You might also look at places like Target and WalMart for plastic Rubbermaid/Sterilite totes or storage containers with dimensions that fit without modifications, they come in a lot of shapes and sizes.I have seen a lot of people use them for sumps or frag growout tanks with good results.

If the display is only a 55 the center support isn't really structurally needed for support, the 2x4 on edge is more than enough to handle the weight. The center support could be made removable in the front and eliminated altogether in the back giving you more room inside.

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

FWIW I know Todd Sails uses a rubber tub as a sump under his beautiful tank. Might be more give in something like that?

In rereading AZ's post (who I have come to learn knows A LOT about A LOT of stuff) should have said ^^+1 in this post since he already mentioned the plastic tote :p

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013