I need some input for easy keep corals for a 1/2 gallon reef

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Mdesoucey, Aug 28, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mdesoucey

Mdesoucey Plankton

I've had a half gallon reef, tank ( I use the word tank loosely, it is actually a large vase) going for about 2 years. I have a couple coral, a snail, some tiny brittle star and a few nuisance star fish and a hermit crab in it. Only half the tank is populated, although the one coral is starting to spread. Any ideas on easy corals or critters I can introduce? I'm pretty confident it is doing well. I feed Phyto Feast only at this moment and am nervous of introducing any other type of food. I am thinking about upgrading to a "real" tank .....Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

Is there any type of filtration on it? If so, what kind? I would think maybe some mushrooms would be hardy enough. I doubt you will be able to keep anything less hardy unless you have a good amount of flow/filtration/sump.

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Yeah, mushrooms, zoa's, xenia, anthelia. Not many other inverts you can add because most are sensitive to fluctuations in water quality. Definitely no fish imo.

On second thought, a feather duster or two would be cool, they can be pretty colorful and as long as you keep salinity stable(topping off), they do fine.

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Kenya Tree would be another option, although you will have to keep it in track so it doesn't take over the tank.

6. IGROZOAS

IGROZOAS Plankton

Wow that's a small..I would do Zoas or palys. So many different varieties.