i need some help

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Saltynub, Feb 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Saltynub

Saltynub Spaghetti Worm

i have this slim looking algea that is growing hair. It is also black. all my levels are good and it is growing fast. i just want to make sure it is not lethal. here are a couple of pictures of what it looks like.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

Whoa! That's some nasty looking stuff. I don't think it's lethal though. It looks like your typical cyanobacteria. Is your tank just starting out? What are your params?

4. colodan

colodan Fire Shrimp

my guess is cyno bacteria. I think everyone battles this at one time or another. It usually grows in dead spots in the tank(low or no flow). try adding more flow to the tank, this may help.

5. Saltynub

Saltynub Spaghetti Worm

its about a month or 2 now. i have two powerheads in it right now and its only a 30 gallon but i will move the direction of the flow to see if it helps. i am actually about to upgrade to a 50 gallon in about a month. so i will have to cycle everything again. i will be adding alot more LR to it also so we'll see. thanks for the input

6. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

Are you using RO/DI water? Phosphates play a big part in the growth of this stuff..and if they are in your water..you'll probably always have a problem with it. Chances are though that it will just go away over time much like the other blooms you have most likely seen.

7. Saltynub

Saltynub Spaghetti Worm

yea. i did add tap water. so ya that makes alot of since. i actually just ordered a RO/DI unit since i am getting the bigger tank. i will just start making my own water.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

What are the flow rates of your PH's?

10. Saltynub

Saltynub Spaghetti Worm

one is 145gph the other is 250gph

11. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

My guess is cyano as well. Get used to the stuff. I've been battling it for weeks now. I got a new clam a while ago and the shipping stressed it to the point where when it was in my tank it did an emergency spawning event. Little did I know that all of those sperm/eggs it just released break down supper fast and can cause an algae outbreak. Now I have red cyano growing everywhere, even in front of a powerhead.

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Get your pH to 8.2 or 8.3 if it is not there. Get your dKH above 7 if not there and maybe aim for 10. Look into using granulated ferric oxide to remove your phosphate. Do 25% water change weekly or semi-weekly to lower nitrate and phosphate. Maybe even increase your flow.