I need some advise for my tank build

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by dfwflyr, Oct 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dfwflyr

dfwflyr Plankton

HI all. Im new to the forum as I have been keeping a nano up until now. I just bought a 120 gallon oceanic that I am building a new custom stand for. Right now my biggest question is about lighting. With my nano I had LED's so I could keep a clam and SPS, but with a 24" deep tank that wont be a realistic option.

I am going to get metal halides most likely. I am reluctant to think a T5 will keep my high light creatures looking as good as they do in my nano (correct me if I am wrong.) With metal halides how much wattage should I be looking for with a 120 gallon tank? IS there a big difference with HQI lights (with atnics) versus straight MH lights? Thanks for the help!!

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef. :)

I would look at Grim's tank, which was LED, large and with tons of acropora and large clams.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off-your-fish-tanks/grims-210g-final-update-111188.html

2in10's tank, absolutely stunning tank with T5 lighting.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off-your-fish-tanks/johns-75-reef-fts-pics-9-11-12-a-81680.html

Personally I really love the look of MH lighting and tanks but both tanks above are just as nice without the heat and cost of electricity and bulbs.

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Honestly 24 inches is not bad for LEDs. With optics and quality units you won't have issues beeping clams on the sand. 3 AI Sols, two Radions, Reefbreeders has some value lights that would work as well.

I have a 125g with 3 radions and im not anywhere near full power on them. My sps and clams on the ground were fine.

5. dfwflyr

dfwflyr Plankton

Well im not opposed to LED's. Also I am reading more on T5's right now as well. I dont care for all of the heat MH lights will put off though. Not that im worried about my tank since i have a chiller, but heating my house too. The big problem is cost. I need ot keep the $$$ down as im buying a lot of other aquarium stuff right now. I am looking at a 48" coralife HQI/CF antic system on craigslist for $250 and i just dont know a lot to be comfortable with buying it. If you guys say t%'s will take care of my stuff then I am open to that as well.

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I think T5's cost more in bulbs honestly. I would go MH with a good hood before T5's again. I've done all three. 20k Radiums or is you don't like the bluer look 14k Phoenix.

7. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

With m/h or t-5,if you don't like the color you buy more exspensive bulbs,with dimmable or programable led you can simply adjust it.

8. Click Here!

9. oyf709

oyf709 Bristle Worm

make sure you understand what you will need to buy extra when you go for MH tho, things extra like chiller you will need and also addtional light bulbs you will need to repalce every 6-8 months and also the extra electric bills. I just hate someone would go thu the same mistake i did when I lost about 20k worth of live stocks when my tank crashed due to heat. Oh I am in Vancouver Canada and I think we are cooler than a lot of place in US.

When you add these addtional stuffinto your calculation, I am not so sure the LED would actually cost more.

10. dfwflyr

dfwflyr Plankton

Well I live in texas so I already had to purchase a chiller for my current set up. I am most concerned with what is best for my corals. I bought a set of coralife MH lights with 2x 250watt bulbs. I still think in the future i might upgrade to LED's Overtime it will be cheaper with the cost of bulbs. Does anyone know anything or have a set of coralife MH link mine. I couldnt find my set on the net to review. It is 48" and uses 250 watt MH bulbs (not HQI) and has PC antics under the canopy too.