I need HELP

Discussion in 'Algae' started by thebluwell, Mar 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. thebluwell

thebluwell Plankton

i just started a saltwater tank and put alot of money into it. I have a lion fish,dwarf lion,toad fish. I also about a month ago i got some live rock. My tank is 29 gallons the live rock had been taken care of by a student for 5 years. i also have a lime green shroom, a few corals dont know what kind. and i have had a problem every since i changed the tank to salt water. i had low ph and high nit. and cleaned the tank good did not take the sand or shell out filled it up and every thing was good. i did this cuz of ick it kill my spiny back puffer now my lion has it a littel and i have been battelin red slim also. i never new it was this hard to take car of what do i do

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

your tank is probably over stocked, no matter how small the predators are.
    a regular lion would need a tank much bigger then 29 gallons when it grows up.

4. thebluwell

thebluwell Plankton

i understand that but i cant get a refund i think the ick is almost cure i have put him in fresh water dips. a few time's it looks beter but i clean the red slime up and it is back just on the glass what would be the best way to get read of it

5. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

Couple Questions:

How long are you leaving lights on daily?
    What kind of water are you using? Tap or RO/DI?
    Is the tank near a window?

As for the ick -- Many theories on this. What I have found it so have a cloudy week! IE leave the lights out or drasticly reduce the amount of time they are on.. Do that and add some kent Marine C to the water.. (Careful not to overdose.) If you do that and the lion contines to eat I think you will be fine.. Another harsh reality might be that the fish is stressed out due to the size of the tank?? (not sure though)

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i would try to sell the regular lion on ebay or craiglist. because that really has no place in a 29 gallon unless you planning on getting a 100 gallon tank or something.

the cyanobacteria, the best way is to remove it with a airline hose by creating a minisiphon during water changes. another option is to use red slime remover buy boyd interprises. but in such a small tank the release of so many nutrients trapped in the bacteria, could cause more problems.