I need help with Vermetid Snails

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by tatted4ever, Nov 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

well..... I think I might just have to let em be. I have a copperband and it destroyed the aiptasia but hasnt touched an of the snails.

As long as they arent posing any problems Ill let em be beneficial to my system.

2. Click Here!

3. WuWu

WuWu Feather Star

ive also heard you can dab thier tubes with super glue so you seal them in and they die

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

+1... ive done this before, works like a charm :)

5. tatted4ever

I have done this once before. Only to rid the one that constantly was shooting its web out.

does work like a charm :)

6. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Well, then, you already had the answer.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  7. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

But that would mean smothering your rock in superglue. My tank is filled with these guys and it's kinda annoying whenever i'm moving rock around because it keeps poking me. That would be a lot of superglue.

8. Click Here!

9. tatted4ever

it really isnt my answer cause I have over a hundred and I dont wanna to cover my reef with superf glue specs.

Plus the task would too tedious and ridiculus.

10. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

+1...too tedious to smash, too tedious to fill with glue or putty. They irritate the crap out of my candy canes, zoos and several other corals, stunt growth and just agitate the crap out of them so they don't open. As far as I know, no one has found a natural predator that will eat them. But they must be in the food chain somewhere so we must not be looking in the right places.

They are a plague in my tank, especially my frag rack which is the worst place to have them. Every rock I have has them on it. I've also cut my fingers when picking up rock. I'm sure they are benificial, but they are also a HUGE nuisance to me and most of my corals.

copperbands and sixlines do not eat them. I have been breaking the, of but it seems to be a losing battle. I am pretty sure that when you break it off and the stem lands on another rock, the snail plants itself and grows back. I don't believe snapping them off kills them at all. hasn't worked for me, but its obviously the only thing I can do to get them away from my corals temporarily.

1 person likes this.
  11. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

You could try a halichoeres genus wrasse like the melanurus or radiant wrasse, they eat lots of polychaete worms and small little inverts, of course there's never any guarantee. If you have the room in your bioload for it anyway.

12. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

the halichoeres won't touch em either.