I need help with Vermetid Snails

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by tatted4ever, Nov 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

Ok... vermetid snails. My rock has a dominate presence of vermetid snails through out my reef. They arent big ones... just a bunch of small ones. I probably have at least a hundred of em through out the tank. Not big deal most of the time. But this evening I brushed the top layer of sand and away they went feasting over the debris in the water. My tank had their string waving like a bunch of streamers :eek:.

I dont have any problems with them effecting coral or anyother inhabitants.

They are not the big nasty ones I have seen. They are probably a 1/4 inch long and maybe a mm in diameter.

Ive read they are beneficial. But visually they are a nuisance (IMO) They throw out their when the water is crystal clear. only during a sand till and water changes.

I really dont want them in my tank any more. What could I do to rid em? Any predator type shrimp, fish, or other animal that will eat em?

2. Click Here!

3. WuWu

WuWu Feather Star

i think sixline wrasse will eat them though im not 100% , I did the freak on the ones in my 55 a coupla weeks ago and got in there with hemostats and smashed the lil bastards , took me a while but i killed the crap outta them >,<

4. tatted4ever

I thought about taking tweezer to em.... but not sure if theyd grow back....

5. WuWu

WuWu Feather Star

dont just break off the tube if you get down and crush the body they seem to just die , i havent had any significant grow back yet

6. tatted4ever

that would be one tedious task I do not wanna do.

7. WuWu

WuWu Feather Star

AWE c'mon man its fun all u gotta do is pop one and you'll be into it , kinda like pringles lol

8. Click Here!

9. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

Hope you find an answer to getting rid of them so far i haven't,they seem to always come back.

10. tatted4ever

naw.... id rather fight aiptasia than deal with these guys.

11. tatted4ever

12. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I've had them for a long time. I bought a copperbanded butterfly because they say sometimes they will pick at them but the fish died.
    I mash them with a knife but it's a losing battle. If there is one that is hard to get to I fill it's tube with aquastik putty.
    They irritate my zoas.