I need help -low alkalinity

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Bob F, Jul 8, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bob F

Bob F Bristle Worm

I am relatively new to the coral thing and will not add anymore corals until I am satisfied that water is stable. My issue is that I cannot seem to raise the alk above 6.4dkh. My ca is at 440 and mag is at 1350. PH is 8.3ish. I use IO reef crystals. I have been trying adding Red Sea reef foundation B but just seem to keep pouring in every other day with not much of a raise. What can I do? Also. Can I just add this stuff to my top off water and let it automatically dose?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Switch to Reef Crystals made by IO and you'll not have to worry about dosing or buffering for awhile. What test kit are you using?

4. Bob F

Bob F Bristle Worm

I am using IO reef crystals maybe I should water change more. I do about 10 percent every two weeks. Tests kits are various due to availabilty. Salifert for mag, Red Sea for alk and API for ca and PH. LOL

5. Corailline

RC mixes always mixed around 11 dkh at 1.025 for me. Test a batch before you add it to the display. If you have no corals, your mag is stable you should have a higher alk.

6. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

What are you using for test kits?

7. Bob F

Bob F Bristle Worm

I noted above Salifert for mag, Red Sea for alk and API for PH and ca. I will definitely test a new fresh batch to see what it is mixing at. Maybe it will show my test kit is off. I guess I can but another alk test or get it checked at lfs think you all for help. I will take these first steps and let you know how it goes

zesty likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I would just say to be sure of your tests before starting corrections.

10. Bob F

Bob F Bristle Worm

I tested my new batch of salt mix at 1.024 and it is only 7.2 dkh. Tested twice. I would be content. But display at 6.4,and new mix at 7.2 makes be wonder if Red Sea test kit is off. Especially what you said coralline. I still need to go test at lfs so hope it is just that

11. Corailline

Well normal saltwater is is 7dkh, so your fine at 7.2, you can try mixing it to 1.025 or .026. But yeah double check it.

12. Bob F

Bob F Bristle Worm

Thanks I will double check and see. If I am only keeping soft and LPS what would be lowest alk I should have. Hopefully it the test kit though