I Need Advice

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by oceansurf, Nov 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

I have a planted discus tank. Unfortunately the plants are not large as they have only recently planted.

I have one dominant discus & he is constantly chasing the other 2 smaller ones.It doesn't seem to intimidate them. They do not huddle in a corner & they manage to get their share of the food. I have noticed some nipped fins, however. I have planted my aquarium heavily with plastic till my real plants take off.

What is your opinion on how this will reduce the chasing ?

2. Click Here!

3. oceansurf

The thick growth has stopped the behaviour "somewhat" but there is still some chasing & nipping. Will the dominant discus eventually "give up the chase?"

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

5. oceansurf

I did not try a tank divider, but I did put the larger, more dominant, discus in a separate tank for 2 weeks. This was also offered as a solution to my problem. When I put him back, the aggression continued although not quite as bad. I have had members suggest dither fish. Not cardinals, as they swim near the bottom. I need fish that stick to the top of the tank. Dianos were suggested although they may be too fast & create stress for the discus. Another suggested a couple of angels. Can you think of any fish that would distract the attention of the discus from his own kind ?

6. oceansurf

Will cooler temperatures ( around 82F ) reduce aggression among discus ? I read this.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It could because they won't be quite as active. It will help your plants grow better also.

8. Click Here!

9. oceansurf

Update.

Wonderful news ! My discus are doing much better. I actually think they are finally beginning to feel more comfortable with each other. The only time there is still a bit of chasing is during feeding. I feed a small amount 3 times a day & everyone is getting enough to eat.

I took out all the plastic I had floating on the surface. ( so far, so good ) My next change is Tues. I'm thinking of getting rid of all the plastic to give my real plants the light they need. There will still be rocks & driftwood for hiding, if necessary.

Thanks for all your help !