I need a simple Sump/Refugium setup

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by i3oosted, Sep 22, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. i3oosted

i3oosted Flamingo Tongue

Right now I have a mixed reef 75g tank w/ HOB RO skimmer, and AC filter that just runs carbon/GFO. My budget is really limited as I'm a poor college student... yea wrong hobby.

Things I would like to accomplish... have more stable parameters since I'm not housing coral along with fish, hide equipment, and nutrient export.

I see lots of peoples sumps and it looks like a huge complicated mess, I'm not trying to have that, hence why I went with HOB skimmer/filter setup with no sump to begin with. Even schematics that show how to build one look like electrical schematics.... ugh.

I'm planning on using an old 20g quarantine tank for the sump/refugium.

Am I able to keep and use my HOB skimmer/filter or do I even need them any longer with the refugium?

Basically, plumbing down drain by gravity(??) into 20g sump, plumbing up pushed a pump in the sump tank.

Sump tank divided by 2(??) dividers, one for refugium but other 2?

What do you with the inlet going down to sump tank so it doesn't get stopped up with anything and therefore flood your tank?

Thanks for your posting time!

2. Click Here!

3. PierceEye

PierceEye Aiptasia Anemone

You need an overflow box and U pipe; you can buy a corner mount bag filter holder
    You will need a return pump. Mag 5 should work good as it will give you good circulation in your tank
    You will not need the HOB
    You can buy a Tsunami sump fairly cheap

4. PierceEye

PierceEye Aiptasia Anemone

5. i3oosted

i3oosted Flamingo Tongue

I wanted to try and drill my tank after dropping the water level half way so I could save some $$ from the overflow box.

When you say HOB you mean my filter or skimmer? I was hoping I could still use my skimmer. Where do I put the bags of charcoal/GFO at?

How much flow do I need? I will be using macro algae/liverock, no DSB.

Ill check out the Tsunami sums, thanks.

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

You will still need an overflow to maintain the DT water level. Not sure on the price difference between in-tank and HOB, though.

You can still use the HOB skimmer, but one of the advantages to a sump is the ability to move equipment out of the DT. You could check out Craigslist or Ebay for a good used model, then sell your HOB to help recover the cost.

Although not as efficient, GAC/GFO can be hung inside the sump in media bags.

For flow, 10x the sump volume to 5x the DT volume is the most recommended.