I just want to cry.

Discussion in 'Algae' started by brew0688, Apr 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. brew0688

brew0688 Fire Shrimp

how did my tank go from This, to this?

I LITTERALLY sucked up 90% of this, and cleaned the rocks off TOTALLY with a toothbrush less than 20 hours ago.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

Looks like red slime, If your tank is still new it's still going through it's cycle.

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

It grows fast when provided with the proper environment. You probably have some sort of nutrient problem.

5. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

It will pass. Just hang in there and don't get too frustrated. it just looks like it's cycling :)

6. brew0688

brew0688 Fire Shrimp

The tank has been up for 3 months. I don't know what drastic things to do differently. I feed once a day, and very little - to the point i feel like I'm starving my fish.

I've cut down lighting to 6 hours, and syphon / scrub every few days. Weekly 25% water changes. Skimmer running all day. Good circulation.

I hate the idea of using chemicals, especially if it's not going to target the source, but I'm getting really, really frustrated.

And I can't afford to set up a fuge right now.

7. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

What kind of water? Tap? RO-DI? Any new plastic components introduced? What is the tank size?

8. Click Here!

9. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

It sounds like your doing everything you can, But it's still cycling I heard it can take up to 8 months or more to cycle.

+1 on that ;D

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

What kind of fish do you have?

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Cyano. One of the easiest of the algae to beat. It is caused by high levels of phosphate and nitrates.
    If your feeding once a day, thats probably too much. I feed twice a week ;) Try cutting down on your feedings. Also, what and how are you feeding? If your using the processed foods like flake or pellet, stop it completely or order the high quality brands, as most flake and pellet food are absolutely loaded with nitrates and phosphate. If your feeding frozen, are you making sure to drain off all the water after defrosting? What is your water source like? Looks like you have a HOB filter, have you made sure to remove the sponge and ring elements? HOB filters are only good for running carbon and other medias, anything else in there and you just have a nitrate factory. What kind of skimmer are you running? Clean up crew and sand stirrers? Flow rate is also important.

12. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

Can someone elaborate on the easiest way to do this? Or "best of" methods without losing food. would a coffee filter work?