I intend to get live rocks instead of my dead ?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by minajaguar, Oct 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. minajaguar

minajaguar Spaghetti Worm

I intend to get live rocks instead of my dead rocks
    but the there is no place in the tank ..can i replace dead rocks (in tank for 3 months) and put new live rocks instead or it may affect my biological filteration ?

2. Click Here!

3. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

It would affect your filtration since all the bacteria is living on your rocks. Why do you want to replace them? Base rock will eventually become live if you leave it long enough and "seed" it with a few peices of live rock.

I'd leave the rock in there, and just add a small amount of cured live rock.

4. elwolfe

elwolfe Coral Banded Shrimp

If you've had it in the tank for 3 months, it's likely live now....

5. Lack-There-Of

Lack-There-Of Bristle Worm

If the rock has been in the tank for 3 months there's a good chance it's "live" live as in covered with beneficial bacteria I don't see any possible reason for switching 3 month old base rock with "live" rock, if your tank is going good there's really no need plus with adding more live rock you stand a chance of adding bad hitchhikers imho I wouldn't switch the rock out.

6. minajaguar

the reason because i found the water cloudy for long time ... and my nitrates more then 20
    so i am trying to do anything to lower my nitrates because water changes couldn't work.
    i just added some live rocks and chaeto alge. what do you think about all that ... while i have no fishes in my 30 gal ... just anemones and some crabes ... i can't add fishes with this unstable environment

7. Lack-There-Of

How long has the tank been up?

8. Click Here!

9. minajaguar

10. Lack-There-Of

I chuckled a little but because you said you can add fish with this unstable environment, fish can take some fluxations, id be more worried about the anemone in an unstable environment:), but I would just hold on the tank sounds like it's in the last stages of cycling or if not you have a source of nitrate in the tank and new live rock isn't going to change anything

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Honestly Minajaguar, I think you are doing too much in small periods of time. You seem to be constantly messing with your systems, adding, changing, adjusting. I think all this change isn't allowing your tank to age properly. I'm not sure what new rocks are going to do to help the situation except to take liverock out of the tank which in turn will possibly cause a new mini-cycle. I'd suggest letting the new rock and chaeto do its job. Keep up with WCs, maybe get some Dr. Tims products. I'd start a thread on his sponsor page with a VERY DETAILED history including parameters of your tank. IMO, I just think you should go a little slower, lower the stocking levels and let these tanks catch up.

Good luck to ya;)

12. Lack-There-Of

Can't* sorry can't edit on phone.