I have questions

Discussion in 'Frags' started by ChrisBs, May 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ChrisBs

ChrisBs Purple Spiny Lobster

hey bout to buy my first frag pack and i need some pointers can you just put them straight in your display with that aqua glue what stuff do i need to add to the water etc thanks for any help

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

sps, softies, or lps?

4. ChrisBs

5. ccscscpc

ccscscpc Millepora

Most come on frag plugs already and you just have to find a hole to stick them on securely.

As far as acclimating them, I usually just soak the bags in the tank to bring them up to temp and then take them out and place them in my tank.

Also depending on where/who you buy from you may want to dip the corals before adding them to your tank. You have to really watch out for bad hitchikers!!

6. ChrisBs

by dip you mean frsdh watrer dip i assume whats the exxact procedure for that and what should i look out for

7. Blaz3dup

Blaz3dup Feather Duster

I don't like plugs, so I snap them off the plugs and glue them directly into the DS rock... idk bout dips, I never use them, just inspect your news corals real well and you should be fine...

8. Click Here!

9. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

stuff like flatworms and red bugs and stuff like that... just stick them in RODI water for a few minutes before putting into your tank.

With sps you have to make sure that you have enough light, flow, and consistency.
    I know your good with flow, lights seem bright enough from from your rock rack post.
    consistency is important because sps really dont like your levels in the tank to fluctuate. you should keep your alkalinity the same. calcium and mag very close to the same also

10. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Ideally you should QT them for a couple weeks before adding them but even I am guilty of not doing that. I don't reccommend a FW dip. You run the risk of cell damage that can lead to RTN and BJD. A dip in an iodine bath for about 15 minutes is all I do. Again this isn't the best. It rids the pests but not the eggs of any potential bad guys.

Float them for 15-20 minutes to get thier water temp close to yours then drip acclimate them in a bucket or container. I ususally drip 3 drops per second in a 2 quart rubbermaid until it overflows then empty half the water and lit it drip full again. I do this for all coral, soft-LPS-SPS.

With SPS and LPS I don't like them on the plugs so I gently pop them off if possible and glue straight to the rock I want them on. This has the disadvantage of if the coral doesn't like where I put it I have to again pop it off the rock to move it but I've been good at picking spots so far. Softs are imo to much a pain to do this with + they grow quickly enough to cover the plug usually so I just leave it all.

Hope this helps you a bit more.

11. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

loclite super glue GEL is what I use, ive made as of today 4 frags this way and no harm to corals. it cures safe in your tank as well! As for dips, I use coralRX after doing a bit of research but I think it would cost alot to get in AU

12. ChrisBs

do they tend to grow straight up mostly or like spread out i guess the real question is how much space between corals should there be im talking sps