I have invincible GHA AHHHH!!!!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by drew3, Jun 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

ok so i have brand new lights, params are perfect, a remora skimmer and i feed every other day with a six hour light cycle. o and ive been doing this for the past months and have yet to see my GHA even falter. i have to say its not growing as much but it definatley isnt dying. WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING WRONG!!!!

2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Same problem. Tagging along. :)

4. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

I had some bad gha for a while, I cut my light to 4 hours a day for about 2 weeks and got a single turbo snail. (24g tank) and its completely gone. Corals are fine too.

5. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

Some people just really know how to grow that stuff.. ;) I'm not sure what the problem is...but I know how you can get rid of the algae...Sally Lightfoot Crab...maybe once you get rid of it, it won't come back

6. Kevin3884

His signature says he has 5 turbos already

7. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

im afraid the sally light foot would eat my clown goby and my few remaining snails

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin3884

I have a male and female sally in my reef, and they dont harm anything or havent shown any aggression and i have small coral gobies that live happily in the reef...but I know about 9 months ago i was having the same problem...put them in...and in 3 days they ridded my 125 Gallon of GHA, and it never has come back....oh i also have lots of snails and hermits that never disappear

1 person likes this.
  10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Are you using RO/DI water? Are you using carbon and granulated ferric oxide?

11. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

yes im using RO/DI water but not carbon at the moment and granulated ferric what??

12. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

I overcame a huge GHA problem with my last tank. And this is what worked for me.... I got two organisms to solve the issue. First I had a red lipped blenny (was really blue). side note after all the GHA was gone he ate the diatom algae on the glass too, and he was SUPER fat. The second was the finishing punch to GHA. A Blue spotted Sea Hare. Work wonders!!! and if you are worried about poisoning the tank if he dies, not an issue. Mine got sucked into the koralia and did no damage to the tank. (till that point he wasnt stressed, which is when they release their poison) Thats what worked for me