I have an Instant ocean salt mix .. the product instruction said " can be used immedi

Discussion in 'Salt' started by minajaguar, Sep 24, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. minajaguar

minajaguar Spaghetti Worm

I have an Instant ocean salt mix .. the product instruction said " can be used immediately"
    what is that mean ... can i pour the water salt mix immediately after the salt dissolve.
    in normal i used to wait 24 hour after mix and before adding to my display tank ....

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Mix it as you usually do IMO.

No harm can come from mixing it completely for 24 hours prior to use.

A lot of harm can come from adding it just after mixing.

Error on the side of patience, I do not care what it says on the bag.

I use IO and ReefCrystals. ReefCrystals says you can add after mixing it completely. I added it about 6-8 hours after mixing once. No fish or corals died but they did show signs of stress so now I mix over night.

4. raven1139

raven1139 Plankton

I mix I/O salt with same temp tap water/Prime in 5 gallon buckets, and stir until it's dissolved and the water is clear. Then I wait about 30 min (while I clean other things) and pour it directly into the tank/sump. Works well for me, and the coral and fish have been doing great for the last year.

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I always wait at least 24 hours if not longer... Give time to ph balance, fully mix and to oxygenate. The only reason to do it sooner is emergency and even then I wait 6 hours or more...

6. APC

APC Gigas Clam

I always wait 24 hours personally, I use RO/DI water which is not very oxygenated by the time it is ready to use...so I mix the salt, and then aerate overnight to be safe. I think that is really the best practice.