I have a hitchhiker anemone I need ID on

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Stonefish13, Jan 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stonefish13

Stonefish13 Flamingo Tongue

If it multiplies I'll give them away.

2. Click Here!

3. Fiyero1988

Fiyero1988 Bristle Worm

Good news, thanks for the updated pics. It is definitely a beaded/warty anemone. It will not split it generally doesn't do a fission in a home aquarium. It will however grow up to 10" MAX and it is a beautiful specimen. You are lucky they usually range from $15.00 to $30 depending on size.

Keep him people love them they are aesthetically pleasing. Very intricate tentacles and they can make a great center piece when full grown. I'm so glad you didn't kill him excellent find!

Like everyone has stated you will want to move him (gently) away from the zoa colony. He won't harm them, but he will over grow them (normal for most large medium/large species of anemone).

They have been identified in several great books such as:

Kaplan, Eugene H. A Field Guide to Coral Reefs: Caribbean and Florida. New York: Houghton Mifflin Company, 1982
    Kaplan, Eugene H. A Field Guide to Southeastern and Caribbean Seashores. New York: Houghton Miffin Company, 1988.

The books are old but a great read on Floridas sea life and surrounding areas.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

How odd because mine just keep splitting and never getting any largers in 2 years, you would think that they would get larger.

[​IMG]

5. Stonefish13

Stonefish13 Flamingo Tongue

Well this guy is a little bigger than a quarter right now and since I've moved the rock to the sand the anemone has crawled off the rock and into the sand bed so for now I'll feed him like I do my other anemones and just keep an eye on it and see how it goes. Thanks for everyones input I appreciate all the help.

6. Fiyero1988

Fiyero1988 Bristle Worm

The picture you have is not a beaded or warty anemone. It is either a species of aiptasia sp or if the rock was harvested from Florida or the Caribbean it could be a turtle grass anemone which I have 2 of although mine have never split. I'm assuming from the picture though and the spreading that it is part of the aiptasia family. However, because it is an aiptasia does not make it a pest, there are several hundred varieties of aiptasia. The one that we most refer to is Aiptasia pallida & Aiptasia pulchella.

Like all anemones caution should be used when they are housed in a closed system. ALL anemones have the ability to sting other corals. Some are very light and some are down right toxic. Aiptasia has a bad rap not because it is a pest but because of its ability to multiply rapidly in or systems due to large amounts of organic matter that accumulates in closed systems. They are not considered pests because of their sting, their sting is about as bad as a quadricolors.

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I'm sorry in my opinion this pic does not look at all like the anemone posted by the OP.
    It looks like a beaded Anemone to me as well