I have a hitchhiker anemone I need ID on

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Stonefish13, Jan 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

W/that in mind fiyero, what's the reproduction rate on the two you just listed?

How tolerant are they of less than ideal params?

And does your earlier comment about them not caring so much about light still hold true? When you say that, do you mean to say light is moot? Or do they still need some light supplmentation and if so, how much?

I have a few rock anemones. 3 off TX coast and 1 off FL coast. None of them seem to care about light at all but only meat. They haven't reproduced at all in the several years I've had them.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/id/please-help-me-id-anemone-52639.html

2. Click Here!

3. Fiyero1988

Fiyero1988 Bristle Worm

Well the toleration would vary by species Heteractis aurora is on the same level of toleration as a quadricolor. They come from clean but not perfect rocky areas near and around reefs. They commonly host several species of clownfish (clarks for example). perculas and ocellaris will not host this species.

Reproduction is like any other anemone they can split using fission or they can reproduce planula larvae. In a closed captive system they will only use fission as means of reproducing. Spawning has not been reported (eggs and sperm).

As for lighting they are found in shallow waters with plenty of rock and rubble. I find that mine love to bury their pedal into the sand near a rock. This also hold true during observation in the wild. Anyways back to lighting, they require lighting like most every organism in the wild; however, they do not use it to feed themselves they are strictly carnivorous and opportunistic to floating particles and small inverts. They have been successfully kept in several different types of lighting and although they require light to replicate their shallow waters, any light will do. I have had mine under t5's PC's and now it is under Halide/T5's

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  4. Stonefish13

Stonefish13 Flamingo Tongue

I appreciate all the help.

5. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

Looks exactly like the rock nem I collected from under a dock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Stonefish13

New Pictures

These are the best I can do with my camera.

Attached Files:

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Good pics, I would definitely try to get it out of the zoa colony so it does not over grow them.

8. Click Here!

9. Stonefish13

Thanks. I put the rock on the sand and it looks like the anemone is actually slowing moving off the rock and onto the glass. Maybe it's trying to get to the sand. If it doesn't get off on its own I'll take it off and place it in the sand.

10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

pest or not i would love to find one of those in my tank :)

11. Stonefish13

Yeah it's pretty cool. That's one of the best parts of the hobby. You never know what you're gonna get.

12. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

well if it ever does well and multiplies ill buy one from you ;)