I have a hitchhiker anemone I need ID on

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Stonefish13, Jan 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You are barking up the wrong tree on this one dude. ::)

2. Click Here!

3. Fiyero1988

Fiyero1988 Bristle Worm

Is it because I corrected you :) my degree in marine biology bets my entire tuition fee on that being a beaded anemone. Also the fact that zoas are growing around it shows that it isn't bothersome to them. Although when the beaded anemone does become larger it may take up available nutrients/lighting.

I honestly don't care what you do with it but don't kill it. Please gently remove it from its base and either give it to the LFS or keep it they are pretty.

4. Fiyero1988

Fiyero1988 Bristle Worm

Could also be Epicystis crucifer(another anemone from the bead family) if you tell me where they collected the rock I could ID the anemone.

5. Stonefish13

Stonefish13 Flamingo Tongue

I will ask the lfs where its from and try to get a better pic up tonight.

6. Fiyero1988

Fiyero1988 Bristle Worm

Ok thank you! Also here is a pic of one that hitch hiked on my live rock. They are beautiful when they grow bigger. Mine has not gotten bigger that 6" across. They are perfect for hosting several species of shrimp. They prefer to have their foot buried in the sand so maybe you could just gently remove him and move him lower. They rely less on light and more on feedings of scrap and left over fish food.

[​IMG]

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

You should check out Corailline's credentials... just sayin. ;)

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Yeah... reading this thread... that advise goes both ways

Everyone seemed to be above being wrong in this one...

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes everyone can be wrong and that is fine by me, but please do not start " you should do your research before you advise someone to kill something". That is just silly and anyone that reads my post or my thread know this.

There are hundreds of anemone that look similar and when he does he research I think he will find that it is not that easily nailed down.

Invasive pest anemone is a huge category. At least I made an attempt to assist the op rather than stating the obvious.

;D

1 person likes this.
  11. Stonefish13

Stonefish13 Flamingo Tongue

He says the shipment came from Florida but he doesn't know the collection site.

12. Fiyero1988

Fiyero1988 Bristle Worm

Excellent just my area of expertise I live in Florida. It is either Bunodosoma cavernata a warty beaded anemone or most likely Heteractis aurora they are somewhat common on Florida liverock especially those collected in the carribean/keys. Although I have seen many on tampa bay live rock.
    They are harmless, yes they sting but so does quadricolor and crispa and any anemone.
    I would advise moving him away from the zoas even though he seems to not be bothering them. They grown next to anything in the wild, mild sting, very sticky tentacles to catch particles. They will host several species of atlantic/caribbean anemone shrimp.
    Notice the bead like structure on the tentacles that terminate into a strand. Very common characteristic of these types of anemone.
    You can either keep him or remove him either way he is a beautiful specimen, and perfect for a reef environment.