I hate my overflow

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by NASAGeek, Jun 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JayTropical

JayTropical Purple Spiny Lobster

Eshoppes!!! It has worked flawlessly, turn on and off my pumps for feeding and cleaning, 100% success rate at keeping a siphon.

2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I see your point. I was under the belief that the weir had more flow through, specifically for that bigger area for the water to go through. You're right about the return, it's really starting to bother me, since even from the beginning I kind of wanted a bit more turnover and now I find myself slowing down my return even more :(

So, in MMcDonald's case, definitely a reef ready tank is ideal.
    I can either get another overflow or wait until I can drill this tank, but there's no telling when that can happen.

I may save a little money and do a second overflow, and try the U pipe model. Maybe that will give me the turnover I'm looking for.

Thanks for the info on weir Vs. U pipe drain, my friend! I'll keep this in mind.

- Mag.

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

5. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

If you REALLY want to talk about my problem... it was not finding 3reef.com years ago.... would have saved me so much money and frustration.

Thanks much for the advice. superglue for now.... new reef ready tank soon.

M

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Glad I have never had to deal with the problem.

So how is the job... still super busy?

7. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Things at NASA are the worst ever... I wish I was exaggerating. Today, we a group Going Away for all the people getting laid off. We did the same thing last Thursday. It is just horrible.

Thanks for asking, but things are pretty harsh.

M

8. Click Here!

9. jack straw

jack straw Plankton

IMO, it's all about that little plastic divider in the outer box of the U-Tube style overflow....as seen in BlackRaven's diagrams. This prevents syphon from being lost, as water gets trapped in this section (that the u-tube sits in) in a power outage, maintaining syphon for restart. Hofer Gurgle buster rocks too.