I hate my overflow

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by NASAGeek, Jun 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

I think my biggest motivation for building a bigger tank is that I want a bigger tank. Without question, my second biggest reason is that I HATE MY OVERFLOW.

I have 55 gal that is NOT Reef Ready. I will NEVER do a not reef ready tank again.

I have CPR Overflow like this one.
    CS202 SIPHON AQUARIUM OVERFLOW BOX by CPR Aquatic - AquaCave

It has led to my tank literally overflowing multiple times. The main problem is the syphon tube that goes from the Overflow to the lifter pump just randomly falls off.... so the syphon get broken and the tank floods my living room. I am seriously ticked off.

1) I am building a plywood 210 gallon reef ready.... or I'll buy a 210 gallon reef ready. Working on the stand now.
    2) What is a good short term solution to prevent future floods????

Arrrrgggghhhh.....

M

PS -- One silver lining.... when I ran in the living room to deal with the (*^%* flood, I at least caught a glimpse of my new Leopard Wrasse swimming after having buried himself for a few days.

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

You have a bad style of overflow, to start.

But to fix the problem short term, use a boatload of crazy glue or silicone....

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I must be missing something? This sounds like an easy fix. The problem I found with them is the small aperture in the nipple getting clogged easily. Even then, there is plenty of time to react. The tubing you are using is too rigid?

5. missionsix

:hehe: Where would he start gluing?

6. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I vote "Everywhere Potentially Applicable".

7. missionsix

You say that these are bad style overflows, but they are the best option available essentially. This particular one/brand especially. Besides reef ready of course.

8. Click Here!

9. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

I got the "best" that I thought was available for the 55 gal given I couldn't drill it.

I'll super glue the tube on there and cuss a bit while I am doing it.

I have been spending the evening looking at TRULY soilving the problem....

Glasscages.com - Oak Stands

I am looking at the 240 Wide or the 300 Wide.... Reef Ready with the Stand and Hood....

M

10. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Sorry for all your troubles. Floods are no fun having had a couple myself. Mine were due to DIY junk though. If you can afford to get another one Eshopps is an excellent quality HOB OF. You can't beat the 1 1/2" ID U Tube. It never fails, loses siphon or ever need an aqua lift pump to restart it when your not around. I run a PF300 on my dt and my remote fuge.

11. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

x2
    the old school u-tube has worked fine for me since 1999. 300gph utube-style overflow boxes are like $50 new.

Eshopps PF-300 Overflow Box - eBay (item 220622290769 end time Jun-19-10 12:35:09 PDT)

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

hey now, aren't you a rocket scientist :p

I'm sure this is very frustrating. I wish you much luck with the fix and more luck on the sure to be stellar upgrade. <pun intended>