I guess the magic eraser is a bad idea

Discussion in 'Coral' started by kungpaoshizi, Feb 10, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kungpaoshizi

kungpaoshizi Plankton

2. Click Here!

3. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

"With all the plastic we use in reef aquariums - especially plastic that is exposed to regular friction forces such as in circulation devices and magnet cleaners - we have to wonder how much plastic our corals are ingesting. Could the bioaccumulation of microplastics help explain mysterious husbandry issues such as "old tank syndrome?" Or are corals able to cope with artificial, non-degradable particulates?"

To me it sounds like all plastic so to single out magic eraser is reaching. To me it is still the best cleaner you can buy for an acrylic tank that will not lead to scratches.

4. kungpaoshizi

kungpaoshizi Plankton

It easily falls apart with use, unlike the plastics in our pumps. So really, it's about 1000x worse.

5. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

1 wipe of glass used to clean mine. Also I did not use it until it completely fell apart. If it starts falling apart get a new one.
    Also unless you have tested and confirmed that it is 1000 times worse your statement is bogus. You can't just assume. Plastics are made out of different materials This is a foam pad so you would suspect it contains different components or amounts.

The study concludes that microplastic may potentially impair a coral's health. If true, this could have big implications for reefkeepers.

So really they have not proven anything. Is it bad .. I would not think it is a good thing.

Anyways as always in this hobby everyone has an opinion, and unless based on fact really it is just an opinion.
    The nice thing about your tank is you can clean it the way you want and it does not matter what anyone else says.

DSC reef likes this.
  6. kungpaoshizi

kungpaoshizi Plankton

Actually it is fact, but naysayers say the same thing over and over. The tensile strength of this foam is quite low. Your pinky finger produces stronger force than what's needed to rip it. Also there is multiple studies out there right now talking about plastic particulates causing problems. Even mussels in a certain part of the ocean are showing this. They've found these plastics are small enough to make it into cells via the circulatory system. To use one of these in the tank is just asking for trouble.
    But if you're convinced it wont do anything, eat some. And eat it once a week, see how you feel.

7. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

To each their own kung.
    If you have a better solution to cleaning an acrylic tank why not tell people. I would love to hear what you swear by.

DSC reef likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. kungpaoshizi

kungpaoshizi Plankton

There's plenty of harder plastics in the form of algae magets and blade scrapers out there that have much higher durability ratings.

10. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

yup there are plenty of those out their.

11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I've never had an issue with the original magic eraser. If anyone is using it until it falls apart then that's there own fault. I'm sorry but a magnet cleaner can't touch algae that's accumulated after some time. I'm sure whoever says a product is bad for a tank will miraculously invent a harmless product. Lol.

kungpaoshizi and chris adams like this.
  12. kungpaoshizi

kungpaoshizi Plankton

Btw, I wrote advanced aquarist several months ago pleading to them to do some research on this subject because of the majority of naysayers saying there's no effect without providing any evidence to the contrary. I find it funny that people don't think active research going on in the ocean doesn't translate.
    In the same area of research they're finding a lot of clothing particulates are making their way into the water systems simply from our washing machines. I couldn't believe that myself, but physics is physics.