(I got the silicon out well 99.9%) Throwing in the towel

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by skyvern2130, Jun 6, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

Soo, my 29g seems to crashing and don't know why everything is right where it should be ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 20 ph 8.0. And such forth ik I had problems with algea and it was just starting to clear up with good house keeping. I did recently switch out sumps but I used the GE 100%silicon with no algea or fungicide. I did do a deep clean on most of the equip but didn't use anything other then vinegar. Tank was like 4 months old and I put the 2 fire fish a few weeks after the cycle was done and then my goby a month after that. After that just kept up with the cyano trying to clear it up. I didn't dose anything to try and clear it faster.

The goby is still alive but idk how he is doing cause he keeps hiding and seems to be eating alittle tho. I've checked everything I could think of. But dosnt mean im giving up just going tp break this tank down and continue on with my 72g lions den but. And maybe i will attempt a reef tank agian. Lucky I didn't have any corals yet but I feel bad for the firefish but like I said I will just take a break and keep up with the pred. Tank im setting up.

And I was so happy to have started getting the cyano under control. Just so many things that could have happened that crashed it. But like I said just get my pred tank up and maybe try a reef later.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. stylaster

stylaster Gigas Clam

Do you run a skimmer? How about gfo and carbon to help with the algae. How much water flow do you have? Cyno thrives in low flow areas

4. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Have you disturbed the substrate during your deep-cleaning (meaning more than vacuuming the surface off)?

If so, you may have released some nasty stuff into the water column.

5. Durty Dj's 916

Durty Dj's 916 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Oh no im so sorry. Tanks can be so temperamental sometimes

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

what are you seeing that makes you believe it's crashing?

7. Chris!

Chris! Banned

Did you let the silicone properly cure and then rinse it thoroughly before installing it.... fresh silicone/ unproperly cured silicone can wipe out a tank no problem.

Also after your deep clean with vinegar did you thoroughly rinse off all the equipment?

8. Click Here!

9. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

I let the silicon set for a week as for rinseing I did a leak check that should have rinsed it pretty well other than that no how should I have rinsed it. no gfo, no pellets just good house cleaning to rid the algae. I didn't disturb the substrate in main tank I did replace with new substrate in my new fug. After I cleaned with vin I ran it throw rodi water pretty thourhly. Maybe it was the new sump if so should I concern cause that's how I did it for my pred tank that luck has it I havnt started cycleing it yet but dose have plain RODi water right now was just waiting on my return pump which is here. Or should I yank the sump off the pred tank or while it cycles if anything bad was to come from can I clear it during cycle with carbon

10. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

And FYI I used ge silicone 2 for windows and doors. It said 100% silicone with no mold of fungal inhibitor and is what my research said to use

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  11. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Where did your rock come from? What are you feeding your fish?

12. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam