I got pods! (Newbie)

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by shusi, Oct 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. shusi

shusi Plankton

Hey guys / gals,

I am new to this hobby and having an awesome journey so far. I just finally got a light for my tank as well as a par of clowns. While observing my tank closely, I found out I have a colony of pods growing in my tank. I'm super excited. Going to post up a video as soon as I get a chance. They are those little dots by that yellow spot in the center of the picture. Also I bought my lr and a amemone came with it. Can anybody help identify it? I want to see what a mature anemone of it's kind looks like. Thanks for

http://img444.imageshack.us/i/imagebgh.jpg/

http://img37.imageshack.us/i/imagewpi.jpg/

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. ricoop

ricoop Skunk Shrimp

I'm not 100% sure, but your anemone you got with you LR looks like maybe the pest anem aiptasia

4. shusi

shusi Plankton

Thanks ricoop. So should I remove the anemone?

5. txny13

txny13 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

+1 on the aiptasia

6. txny13

txny13 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

it would hot hurt to remove it

7. ricoop

ricoop Skunk Shrimp

You may want to see what somebody else says, but it looks like aiptasia to me. If it is you need to get it out asap. they will spread like crazy and harm other livestock. check around on here for what to do, but I haven't personally dealt with them yet.

8. Click Here!

9. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

it is aiptasia,just take a coffee cup of tank water and nuke it in the microwave til boiling,then carefully direct the boiling water on the nem using a turkey baster or syringe.

1 person likes this.
  10. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

That's aptasia, and lots of folks skim hours of threads looking for ways to remove it. Personally, if that's a new tank and has already cycled, I'd take it out and boil that rock until it's dead. Clean all the crudd off of it, and hope it hasn't spread. There is another way of killing aptasia anemones that I've heard a lot of good results from, is getting yourself some kalkwasser, mixing it into a thick paste and spreading the mix onto the aptasia. Although, if you've just started this tank, boiling would be a lot less costly then buying kalk, but if you're going to get into SPS and LPS corals in the future, you'll probably buy it eventually. It really comes down to what plans you have for your tank, but if it were me, I'd focus on getting it out asap, it's a very common nuisance that can wreck havoc on your system.

On another thought, I wouldn't worry about the need for an anemone for the clowns. They will do just fine without one, and in most cases stores try and sell you the wrong ones that clowns prefer anyways. Clowns live in those guys in nature to protect themselves from predators. As long as you dont put predator type fish in your tank, they won't have anything to worry about.

11. shusi

shusi Plankton

Hey grinder37, thanks for the advice. What can I expect when doing so?

12. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

See, this is even less complicated than the tricks I've heard. :cheesy: