I got a Thing.....

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by BillyD, Nov 20, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BillyD

BillyD Feather Duster

I was moving liverock from the 30gal im breaking down to my new tank. turned a rock over and found this. its bright green and feels spongy to the touch. It has 2 larger tubes comming out on each side. Its about a half inch in diamater. I doubt its harmful, I just dont know what it is. =)

here are some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

lettuce nudibranch it eats algae not sure about what else.... you just found it in there?

4. BillyD

BillyD Feather Duster

Hrm. i dont think its a Nudibranch, its pretty stationary. but yeah. flipped over the rock and it was there. I've had the 30gal for about 6 months now and have never seen it before. so i dont think it moves around. i aranged it in the new tank to where it would show up well. cause i like the color.

Edit...

Actually now that i look at a few pictures. it does kinda look like one. but i cant see how one would survive a ride on liverock from the LFS to the house and not be acclimated properly. that would be a crazy tough nudibranch.

5. cuttingras

from the pics it sure does have the color of one.... can you get a clearer pic? maybe some sort of sponge?

6. cuttingras

serious...mine all got shredded in a power head and then eaten by my engineer goby

7. BillyD

BillyD Feather Duster

I took about 15 pics, and those were the best ones lol. my camera is not that great. close zooms get blurry.

I was thinking since it had those weird tubes out the sides it was a Tunicate of some sort. but really i have no idea. never really seen anything like it before. its like a mix between a Sponge and a Tunicate.

8. Click Here!

9. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

its hard to tell from the pics, if it hasnt moved since then its not a nudibranch. tunicate its not. more than likely a yellow ball sponge. we know more about outer space than our oceans.

10. BillyD

BillyD Feather Duster

Well, its growing mostly flat against the rock, not up and out like the ball sponge pics i see. could be though since it just changed tanks its not puffed out like it should be. but its got those tubes on it that dont make sense for a sponge, more like a sea squirt. just never seen one so spread out. then again i dont know much about them.

Thanks for the info guys. wish i could get some better pics, i really want to know what this is because i like the look of it and would like to know how to care for it. DT will probably do it, but ya never know.

11. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

yea that is just a sponge i have a million of them all over my tank as well.

12. cuttingras

it was under a rock when you turned it over and now it's not puffing up like it did? It might prefer low light. try turning the rock upside down but facing you so you can see it