I got a quarantine tank! Quick question

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Ballgame, May 31, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

I got a quarantine tank! Now I'm part of the minority ha!
    Sorry I feel like I'm bothering you guys with these questions. I'm very cautious so can be slow making decisions.

Question.
    Fish (saltwater) in a 30g QT using Cupramine for ich. Leaving my 60g to fallow.
    Here is my question. I have a brand new 90g tank ready to be set up but my fish got ich right before so couldn't set it up. Can't set up new tank because need to use the 60g tank water in 90g. Meaning I'll infect the new tank.
    But since fish in QT can I set up 90g and let it cycle for a 4 weeks while fish in QT? Or is ich on my live rock too and that would still infect? If so can I cure live rock while fish in QT in separate container?
    Not in QT my clean up crew, Derasa clam, anemones, and torch coral.
    Ugh sorry for question. My wife is on me about getting tanks switched to free up space. The goal is to somehow get new tank setup.
    Hope this makes sense. Guess the question is does ich get on live rocks so moving LR into new tank will infect it.
    Hoping can setup new 90. Add new live sand. Let cycle with new water. Fish in QT a month. In a month move them into new home

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Marine ich can only survive on fish. In a task without fish ich will go through its cycle and not survive if there are no fish. The reason for the 8 week fallow time is that it goes dormant for a period of 3 to60 days. In rare occasions it can go dormant longer. Usually 8 weeks is enough to kill it off. So you should be able to put water and rock in new tank. Either way it is fallow.

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

How bad is the ich on which fish?

5. FeedYourMachine

FeedYourMachine Feather Duster

Billme got it right ...
    Keep the fish in QT and treat and everything else can be in the 90

6. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Only one had it but it was bad. Still has spots!!
    2 weeks using Kick Ich in 60g tank. Now day 4 in QT with still with white spots. Thought they'd fall off by now. Just a long process so I'm trying hard to be patient

7. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Thanks all! Appreciate the feedback. I'm gonna go buy a sump and get that 90g bad boy up! Bought black latex paint to paint back glass.
    I'm excited.

8. Click Here!

9. FeedYourMachine

FeedYourMachine Feather Duster

I have had great success with hypo for ich.

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

glad you got good news ballgame! I was unsure on the answer on that one. One thing to point out to you though, please don't ever hesitate to ask questions on this forum. We're all here to help when we can :)

11. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

My yellow tang I inherented with the clam... The yellow hasn't eaten in 3 days. Looks at the food but won't eat it. 3 days is about limit for at least eating. Worried he will end up dying due to QT stress. He is reason I got the 90 and worried won't see it.
    Happy I have a QT and can treat this way. Today no spots so getting better. It's a process.

Side note I painted my 90 back glass today

12. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Thanks! Sometimes I feel bad like I'm annoying people. I'm cautious and like to have info to support my decisions. Knowing people here have such great knowledge I like to confirm. But ich has been out if scope for me. Learned a lot!!