i got a jellyfish today

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by hottielover14, Mar 16, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

I walked into my LFS and saw that they had just gotten in 2 blue jellyfish about 3" wide and so i bought one because i had always wanted one. They are awsome...how they move and act..it's a real beaute to add to your tank. The guy told me that he wouldn't bother my fish but my fish could pick on him. I asked him about blue tangs because i have one and he said that it shouldn't...what do u guys think. Is it safe to put it in with my blue tang.. will it bother my corals..??? Who has had some experience with these awsome creatures.

2. Click Here!

3. hottielover14

also i have a lot of powerheads in my tank and i read that they like calm water but what should i do about my intake pipes and my overflow box. how can i block them from getting sucked into them.

4. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Hl14 I don't have any experience with jellyfish but you have to start researching your new additions to your reef before you get them not after!! Just my 2 cents............. John

5. hottielover14

i did but it doesn't say anything to answer my questions.

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Another Death by HL14
    Why bother your going to do what you want anyway
    J

7. hottielover14

they are just so awsome.

8. Click Here!

9. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Do you even have any idea what to feed it? :-/

10. hottielover14

it get's most of it's food thru photosyhtis but u also can feed it phytoplankton weekly

11. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Just found this on the net

How do gelatinous animals eat?
       Imagine trying to eat your dinner without any teeth or jaws.  In fact, what if you didn't have any hard parts (like our skeleton) in your body.  Capturing living prey and consuming it without getting torn apart could be a challenge!  That's why the cnidarian jellies use the stinging nematocysts, and why they can be such a pain (literally!).  By using various types of toxins, the true jellies can immobilize zooplankton prey like krill, copepods, larval fish and even other gelatinous animals.  The long, thin tentacles, often not visible to potential prey, are studded with batteries of nematocysts.  By drifting with extended tentacles in areas of high prey density, food items that contact the tentacles are stunned and killed by the nematocysts.  Other nematocysts function more to hold on to the prey.   Once subdued, the prey can then be brought to the mouth, and into the stomach for digestion.  With their transparent bodies, it's often easy to see what a jelly has recently consumed.

Other gelatinous animals lack nematocysts and have devised other methods for acquiring food.  Some comb jellies (the "sea gooseberries") employ a pair of sticky tentacles to ensnare small zooplankton prey.   Another group, the lobate comb jellies, utilize a pair of mucous-covered oral lobes to funnel zooplankton into the waiting mouth.  Perhaps the most amazing comb jelly feeders are the various species of Beroe.  Pity the poor comb jelly that encounters one of these voracious beasts.  Gluttonous to the max, certain Beroe can engulf ctenophores up to their own size, or even larger!  Despite what most of us think about mucus (yuck!), it plays a valuable role for many gelatinous snails and tunicates.  Certain planktonic snails known as pteropods produce sticky mucous webs that effectively capture zooplankton prey.  Other types of pteropods, and another gastropod group known as heteropods, are more active predators.  With well developed swimming ability and relatively complex mouthparts they seek out gelatinous fare.  Pelagic tunicates also take advantage of the stickiness of mucus, using it in a variety of ways to collect tiny zooplankton and phytoplankton (microscopic algae).

Good Luck HL14 ................. John

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

John,

That's a wealth of information but it doesn't answer the MOST important question!

John :)