I give up with film algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Puffer Chick, Dec 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

is there anything else that you guys would recommend to clean the glass that has not been mentioned on this thread that i had posted last week http://www.3reef.com/forums/algae/what-best-way-rid-algae-glass-77929.html

I am soooooo done with film algae. Today i spent an hour trying to scrape it off with a razor blade, and it just wont come off! :furious3: i am so tired of it. I would consider pruchasing the mag float with the scraper but i think its the same thing as a razor blade.

Is there anything else that i could look into getting, would a UV Steralizer possibly work? i am just so done with it. My inverts are constantly working on the glass but no noticable difference, same thing when i scrape.

This is just my frustration because i had spent an hour scraping and no results what so ever

2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

There is probably nothing a razor blade can't scrape off. Now, I don't know about your prowess with the blade but if you don't hold it at the right angle it won't scrape off the tough stuff like Coraline and the Green types. I have found a 30-45 degree angle of the blade and a decent amount pressure does the trick. They make plastic holders for the blades that make it easier to hold and use.

4. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Hey from seeing your other post, it might be the natural sunlight that is making the film algae worse. I know mine gets bad when I open the shades and let sun in. Also maybe your mag float is bad. Have you tried another one? Mine never scratches unless you get sand in it. And it works the best at getting that junk off for me.

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ok ill try to hold it at a different angle to see if that will work, and i have the one with the plastic holder. Its just frustrating, i know film alage isint a big deal or anything but it just makes the tank look ugly and i cant stand it

6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

yea i think your right about the nsl making it worse, like i could keep the blinds shut, but i want the nsl for the coral growth. I havent tried another magfloat yet, their cheap enough so i might go ahead and get another one to see if theres a difference in the two

7. skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Peppermint Shrimp

wow. my mag float works great.maybe yours is worn?do you have alot of snails?

8. Click Here!

9. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

My mag float takes my film algae off no problem. Just one swipe across and it's gone. I would think a razor blade would work - try it at a different angle. Good luck!

10. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

sounds like you have a green coralline on your glass problem - film algae is ridiculously easy to wipe off, the green coralline can be hard.

now don't get mad if something scratches...
    what I do is press hard with the inside of the mag float, (your hands should be wet), and clean it by using circles rather than back and forth. With time and a ton of effort you will get it. Coralline can be no fun at times, but I bet that is what you have.

11. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

if you want a solution with a cool fish try the algae blenny a.k.a lawnmower blenny a.k.a sailfin blenny. there great at getting film algae of and there a ton of fun to watch they leave little kiss marks on the glass where they bit down

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

you know, i've been thinking the same thing, becuse it is green, and its been extremely hard to scrape off, ive noticed if i use the very edge of the razor blade it will come but its still not much, i wouldnt mind it growing on the back of the glass, but it looks really bad on the front and the sides