I fought the rock and the rock won.

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by 10acrewoods, Feb 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

So just starting this thread cause I was at my lfs and ran into a guy that was going to trade some live rock. I convinced him to sell me some and got a great price $2 a lbs. he even gave me choice. I was happy as a clam. Then I get home and have to fit new additions in but that is where it gets crazy. To make a long story short I rearanged my tank 7 times and 3 hours later still not totaly content.
    Has any one done this or am I just an obbsesed rock mover?
    Is there any other way to get a better then stacked look? I have tryed the pvc live framing and liked it but want to do something diffrent this tank.
    I guess this is just venting. But will be intersted to hear anyone elses storys

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

I hear ya I'm never happy with the way my rock is in my tank , I''l just get it and stand back and want to rearrange everything again..lol. My wife will be like "stop messing with it it looks fine!!"

4. juliew

juliew Coral Banded Shrimp

It took us forever to get it 'right' :)

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

When I set up my 370G I had 300 lbs of rock in and out of the tank 12 times before I stopped and accepted the arrangement.

J

6. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

We epoxied the rock together in three total sections to get everything right the first time :D My mom's still not satisfied with the amount of rock, however. She wants to "fill out the back" a little more. Meaning, we're slowly drifting from the "island" look, to the "wall" look. Craaaaap ::)

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I've moved my rock several times. I just start doing it and as I go alone step back and take a look. It is quite difficult to get a really nice arrangement. Keep it up, you'll get it.

8. Click Here!

9. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Yeah, I've selected to go with a more "open" look in my new tank and put a bunch of rock in the sump. I'm not satisfied with how it looks at this point, but feel it's more reef like and true to nature. Maybe try something a little more modest to get what you're looking for.

10. xeddyboi420x

xeddyboi420x Bristle Worm

hahah i know exactly what you mean

11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I get myself soo flustered! I will finally get my rock the way I want it...and then something will happen and I will have to move 1 little piece. Well then I wind up redoing the whole tank then. And then again, and again!

I got up at 3am one morning and looked at the tank and did not like the way it looked, so at 3am I had all my rock out in buckets redoing it. Poor fishes...they were shocked.

I dont particularly like the set up I have now....but I have vowed that I will not touch it again for 1 month at least...I am on week 2!!!!

12. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

this does sound all familer. They need a rocks anomous club for those of us who just can't get it right. But I know I definalty don't want the wall look and the stacked look and the island look. But I know I want a big arch in there. It is all so fustrating sometimes. I guess it is like the artiest and the master piece it is never done. And yes my poor fish didn't like it either. I guess it would be like the hand of god rearanging my house for 3 to 10 hours. I would be just leave it alone man. o well such as life.