i finally figured it out

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by booge1969, Dec 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. booge1969

booge1969 Flamingo Tongue

i have a 6 gallon nano for now. (my 55g build is coming up soon so i will be looking for some insight on that.) i have a false percula clown and a red scooter blenny some hermit and emerald crabs a bumble bee snail (that i almost never see) <(I had a camel back shrimp)> i have some zoas two pieces of xenia, star polyps, and a tooth coral. for awhile my xenias were dying and i could figure out why my water param were perfect tested them at home and the lfs. perfect! now i should say that my tank is a fluval edge 6 gallon. i have about 10 lbs of live sand and about 7 lbs of live rock. the tank has been cycled for about 6 months. long story short i caught the camel back shrimp going all edward scissorhands on one of my xenias' when i came home for lunch. i don't know how many of yall know what a fluval edge looks like but i caught that shrimp with a not so small net (very lucky i will tell you; didn't really upset the tank doing it) and immediately took him back to the fish store. i like these guys at my lfs they gave me a store credit for exactly what i paid for him. cool!!! anyway, they (xenia) have comeback to life and have almost completely recovered in very short order. man these things grow fast. just wanted to let yall know about my experience with a camel back shrimp so that maybe it might help someone else. ;D the best part about this whole thing and what maid me post this thread. today the xenias started to pulse shortly after i did a water change.:victory::victory::victory::victory::victory:
    i can't wait to start my 55g build. i am going to go with a sump and will be building it myself so i'm sure that there will plenty of advice to go around. i am converting this tank from fresh water and have already sold my freshies back to the lfs. did i say these guys are awesome? tank is cleaned up and back glass is painted. plan on getting it started this weekend with some live sand(50lbs) ,and a cup of sand from the lfs. gonna throw a little damsel in there to help it cycle. i am almost done here can you tell i'm excited to get started. anyway, i do have a question about live rock ,and where should i buy. i have had alot of bad hitchhikers that came with the lr in my nano. i have considered using saltwaterfish.com and going with the fiji live rock. i was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with their rock or dealing with them in general.

thanks everyone for your comments and advice in advance.

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

From personal experience, I would recommend NOT going with the damsel, you will tank yourself later on... and I would also recommend going with just plain base rock and then getting a little live rock to seed some coraline and bacteria. It may take a little longer but you will be happier later on ;)

4. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Congrats on getting your xenia growing again.

I would not use live rock on your 55. I would use base rock and then just seed it with your live rock from the 6 gallon. Would be much cheaper and have no hitchhikers.

Edit: Too slow

5. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

I would do as stated above. And I would NOT buy anything from saltwaterfish.com
    the base rock you can get it from ReefCleaners.org best site i've ordered from.

6. booge1969

booge1969 Flamingo Tongue

okay thanks for the comments so far. i will go with the suggestion on the rock, but not many people think much of saltwaterfish.com. can anyone elaborate on them, and maybe suggest a better online source such as them. my lfs, although they are great, usually doesn't have too much of a selection. (small town and all) thanks so far you guys have been great

7. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Bulk Reef Supply has Pukani dry rock. Very porous good stuff.
    Reef Cleaners has Florida reef rock. No actual experience with the rock, but the seller is top notch. Always fast to answer any questions you may have.

SWF.com tends have a bad rep due to poor livestock conditions and bad hitchhikers.

8. Click Here!

9. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

saltwaterfish.com i never ordered there but nice info on things