Urgent I don't know what to do!!!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by billyboy2, Feb 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billyboy2

billyboy2 Coral Banded Shrimp

i setup a hospital tank. i removed all my fish that are still alive and drip acclimated them to the hospital tank salinity of 1.020 and started my coppersafe treatment. in reading the instructions for coppersafe they reccomend using maracyn-2 with coppersafe. in canada maracyn in general isn't easily found as its not allowed over the boarder. can i just use erethromicen antibiotics with the coppersafe? i was told the maracyn is just erethromicen antibiotics to help heal the fish? anyone know the doseage of maracyn or if this is even a good idea? the antibiotics i can get ahold of are a 200mg dose in powder form. they are by API.....I still havent caught the wrasse...he burries himself before i can catch him!! should i even bother trying to catch the bugger since he seems to be the only fish unaffected thus far??

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I wouldnt try to catch the wrasse. It will just stress him out more.

Just FYI with copper, dont dose copper at full strength. It can be very toxic to fish. I would also gradually increase the salinity of your water in the tank...definately do not go below 1.020. Copper and hypo (which you are not really hypo until you hit around 1.012 to 1.007) is VERY VERY stressful and more toxic to fish. The store I worked at, the owner could not figure out why he was loosing all his fish. He believed that running hypo (1.015 and copper at the same time) was the answer. Well, we lost over 75% of the fish that came into the system. (This was at the end right before the store closed)

When you do bring them back into the main display,make sure you acclimate them slowly. They can handle drops in salinity easier then they can handle increases.

1 person likes this.
  4. billyboy2

thanks for the tip i'll be sure to remember that. looks like i'm keeping them in the hospital tank for a month. I want to give my DT time to clear out . will the infection come back when i re-introduce them to the DT if i don't treat all the fish??? i don't want to have to do this again cause i did it wrong! do i need to treat my DT with something before putting the fish back in or what? right now my DT is stocked with my cleanup crew and the two anemones i have. can anemones get ich or velvet??

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Leave your DT empty for quite some time. If the parasite has no fish to host on, it will die. I'm not sure how long this parasite's life cycle is. Try to find online.

1 person likes this.
  6. whiptofiz

whiptofiz Fire Worm

Sounds like your ready. Good luck on your treatment i think the QT is the smartest choice as i have delt with velvet in the past and most "coral safe" treatment do not work fast enough. Keep us posted

7. billyboy2

day three and all fish still alive....the chromis and clowns look great....my foxface looks the same or worse!! he stays stuck to the airstone in the tank and eats only if a piece of flake floats by. He's stayed all camoflauge since i captured him in the DT, and hasn't calmed down. He has what appears to be open wounds....they might not be open but definitly missing skin around the face area......the black markings on the foxface "face" look like its peeled and some shiny white/silver skin is exposed. Would it be wrong to use maracyn-plus with my coppersafe? it's recommended in the coppersafe instructions to use maracyn or maracyn 2 or maracyn-plus to avoid a secondary infection. i've been told it's just antibiotic erethromicen. Would i benifit or make more problems??

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. billyboy2

is the coppersafe going to affect my water tests?? i did a test for ammonia last night and had a .25 reading. i changed out 25% of the water and this morning i got a .50 on the reading. i am hardly feeding...cant figure out why i got such an ammonia problem!

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

how much flow do you have in the tank? You want to make sure you have a lot of air exchange in the tank...maybe add a few more airstones (esp if your foxface is hanging out by the airstones) means he is probably having a hard time breathing.

11. billyboy2

ok i thought i'd have more than enough. in the hospital tank i got a aquaclear30 with no carb, a small elite submersible filter with carb removed and the airstone. my ammonia was through the roof!! at .5-1.00 what the hell happend?? im wondering if the coppersafe is affecting my water tests. My DT shows 0ppm. any ideas?

12. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

When you are mixing the water are you letting it aerate for at least 12hrs?
    To my understanding when you are mixing the salt there is a chemical reaction that produces ammonia. So that's probably why you saw an increase of ammonia after the water change? Afte a while the ammonia should be gone. Try testing again in a few hours.

Also I agree with getting more air stones because it seems there could be a lack of oxygen.

Make sure you keep the lights off most of the time, maybe consider putting a towel around your tank. I've heard that this slows down metabolism and it makes fish relax.