I don't get what's going on.

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by SaltyClown, Apr 27, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

I have a 75 gallon tank that about 1 day out of the week, the corals seem happy. Most of the time some of the corals like acans and Duncans don't look too hot. My tank is very clean, but just within the past 2 weeks, the coraline on my rocks have been turning white and there has been no new coraline growth. My corals are growing so slow, some haven't grown at all. I've had my acans for about 3-4 months now and not one new baby polyp. My KH is 9, Cal is 420, MAG 1320, SG 1.025, ph 7.8, I use a 150 reef octopus skimmer, I use RSCP salt and my lighting is 4 kessils, 2 ocean blue and 2 sky blue. I use RO water for to top offs and water changes. Just last month my frogspawn corals and coraline were growing well. Now everything just stopped growing. Any thoughts?

This may sound crazy, but the only thing I can think of at the moment is, the Asian beatles have been waking up around my area. Just yesterday alone I pulled out about 10 dead beatles out of my tank during a water change.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Did you test your ammonia, nitrates? Those beetles could have an impact on those parameters and could be causing the problem.

4. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

how do beatles get in your tank?

5. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

The sump and the top through the mesh canopy.

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Beatles? Is the tank outside?

What does your temperature hang at?

pH?

7. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Tank is inside, we have a home from 1947 with one more old window. Ph is 7.8

8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Don't know where you are that you don't have them, but you can't keep them from getting into the house. I swear, sometimes I think they mind-meld themselves through the walls, 'cause they seem to crawl out of the woodwork. And yes, they are strongly attracted to bright lights, especially those over saltwater (or food). :-/

10. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I'd check your salt. I stopped using coral pro due to various inconsistencies and a very large I frequently visit had the same problem except they lost major money in dead corals. I went back to RD and all is stable. Start checking your salt params 5 hours after making your water.

11. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Thank you. What salt is RD?

12. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Exactly, I swear they can teleport. One day your house is beatle free then, BAM you living room is beatle headquarters.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014