I can't conquer the green water

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by Lady J, Nov 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

I've been grimly determined but I can't conquer it. My tank has a constant algae bloom.

I've done big water changes, no water changes, a 3 day blackout, added only nitrates, added nothing, shortened photoperiod, etc.

My tank is ugly and it's unfortunate, especially since all 3 of my tiger lotus are big and growing. I am out of ideas and I believe I have used every idea provided here short of buying a canister for filtration.

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Sorry I can't help, but here's a bump for your thread.

If you don't get any answers, you can PM John (member 2in10); He's great with planted tanks, and I'm sure he'd be happy to assist you.

4. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Thanks. John has given me good advice and I've taken it. IDK, nothing is working.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Try getting the canister filter and pack it tight with floss and carbon. A diatomaceous earth filter can help also. Magnum makes a filter that could help you on that. They have micron filtration cartridges that could help you remove the fines suspended in your water. you will want to clean the cartridge often and a spare is a very good idea.

Here are a couple of links to some different filters.

magnum aquarium filters - Google Search

Aquarium Diatom Filters at AquariumGuys.com

System 1 Pressure Filter - AquaCave.com

6. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Thanks John, I'll look into it.

7. ktz216

ktz216 Flamingo Tongue

Try running carbon in your filter and turn off your light for a few days. It should help.

8. Click Here!

9. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Thank you for your advice. :) I have been running carbon 24/7 in the HOB filter and did a 85 hour black out. The tank was beautiful for about 5 days before it started again.

For reasons I can't seem to get settled, I still believe the nitrate:phosphate ratio is off, no matter how much I test and no matter how much I adjust the amount I fertilize. I'm also wondering if the carbon level fluctuates too much because I only dose liquid and my tank is open. Simply put, IDK.

10. TrialandError

TrialandError Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Get a UV sterilizer. That's what I had to use when my water looked like pea soup.

11. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

A fluidized reactor is way different than a HOB, but UV has also worked for me in the past. Its alot more cost effective to run a reactor

12. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Reef Nutritions's Tigger Pods would love it in there. Clams also really like phyto. Those are about your best natural solutions.

UV will get rid of it guaranteed, but do nothing for the nutrients that were feeding the problem that are feeding the green water bloom.

You might want to contact Dr Tim as he might have a bacteria that can outcompete the green water for nutrients.