I bought a ball python....

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by greebs, Nov 26, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Katie Grant

Katie Grant Aiptasia Anemone

aw that's too bad :(

My old ball python got out once, tore my house APART and nowhere to be found. My mom found it a week later passed away in my basement:cry:.

I actually got her from a friend, she needed a home, and her original owner was growing her to be a wallet.

disgusting,

i would never dare, shes the sweetest thing ever.

2. Click Here!

3. greebs

greebs Flamingo Tongue

that's a terrible thing to say :( even though it is funny. when it does get big and die (which will be awhile because the average life span is 20 years and people have said to have had them for over 40) I will probably give the body to a museum or zoo. I could never wear my ball python, it would make me wayyyyy to sad. (not to mention, i am vegetarian, and i hate animal cruelty, the fur trade, etc.)

They only get 3 to 6 feet and they are one of the most recommended snakes. I plan on upgrading it to a verrrrry big tank in the future. I plan on building one about 8 feet long by 4 feet wide, and if it looks like it outgrows that, I will just make a bigger one.

4. greebs

greebs Flamingo Tongue

i do handle it everyday and i plan on handling it as much as possible in its life. i like to just lay on my bed with it on my chest as i watch tv or read a book. it just explores and chills near me. :)

I have had many people handle it already, including a girl that is afraid of snakes. After fifteen minutes she loved it.

5. greebs

greebs Flamingo Tongue

That snake is gorgeous. I plan on taking mine for walks and car rides in the summer. I'll try that bedding out. Thanks. :)

6. Katie Grant

Katie Grant Aiptasia Anemone

They loveeeeeeeee car rides! specially if you can get them to wrap up around the steering wheel ;D its so cute haha.

1 person likes this.
  7. Jacwil

Jacwil Coral Banded Shrimp

Nice addition man! I had a pair of "balls" (pythons), for yrs...very docile. We also had bearded dragons, blood pythons, a mangrove monitor, and a nile monitor. No more herps for us now but when I was at our LFS today our boys were eyeballin' the beardeds ;) Enjoy!

8. Click Here!

9. mikev15101

mikev15101 Purple Spiny Lobster

Nice pick up, I had one for about 8 years, make sure you deff have clips on the ends of the lid cause they will push their way out, i lost mine for about a week before we found it. DO i repeat DO take it out of the tank to feed, place it into another rubbermaid or soemthing. The main reason for this is if he gets to used to you placing your hand in and feeding him he will think everytime you put your hand in your feeding it and may eventually think your hand is food. So take it out feed it somewhere other then its home. Other then that they are really cool, mine lived peacefully with an iguana for about 4 of the 8 years. they were buddies.

1 person likes this.
  10. slowleak

slowleak Feather Duster

i deff agree on the bedding thing. the stuff you have in its tank now is so fine it can get lodged in between scales and casue infections. you need to bring it to a reptile store and have it sexed, it is deffinately old enough to find out. other than that, just enjoy!

i have had 6 of these things so far and loved them all. best all-around snake IMO. next snake on the list-red tail boa

1 person likes this.
  11. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

My best friend has a California King. He's the sweetest thing outside his tank...but you gotta get him out quick because he seems slightly retarded and feels that anything in his tank that moves is food. And I'm not trying to be offensive, I really feel he's mentally retarded. They had to switch from live mice to frozen because he couldn't catch the live anymore. If you see him eat a frozen, you'll know what I mean ;)

We've had a pair of blue tailed skinks, 3 tree frogs (a jade and 2 common greens), the emerald green snake, and now we still have Tina the gecko. We had a red belly toad for a while, he lived next to the tree frogs. He started climbing the corners of the tank, I guess it was a "monkey see monkey do" thing. He got out never to be seen again, the theory being he became puppy lunch.

12. greebs

greebs Flamingo Tongue

haha, funny, that is exactly what my brother-in-law said.

thanks for the tips. will do.

i wish there was some type of website that would give me the information you guys have. where can i find a 3reef for reptiles? lol :p