I aslso want some corals.

Discussion in 'Coral' started by vincent843, Nov 20, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vincent843

vincent843 Plankton

Hi all,
    I am new here, very good site. I just start to change to salt water. The tank is about 100 gls(22"x72"x15"), 6 months old. 2" of CC, 100 lbs LR, only 80w of florcent lights(blue, natural white) just test water from a local FS, everything in line. Right now there are 4 Damsels, 2 yellow Tang, 1 Yellow Eye Tang. I love fishes, but it kind of borring since the tank look bold. Anyway, I like to add some coral for the look, please give advices. Thanks.vn

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Welcome to 3Reef!

The only things you can add right now are low light polyps and mushroom corals.  Most corals are photosynthetic and need intense lighting to thrive.  Metal Halide lighting with Actinic supplementation will allow you to keep just about anything.

Decide what kinds of corals and we can help with specific lighting requirements.  A good place to start is to go to the top of the page and reviewthe hardware section of the "Steps" tab.

4. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

you might be able to go with some low light leathers also. are you going to upgrade your lighting at all? if so then you can expand your choices but stick with the 3 types mentioned above. have you thought about inverts like crabs, shrimps, dusters and so on they can be added with low light and give the tank life and color.

5. vincent843

vincent843 Plankton

Hi, Thanks for the replies. Still in the learning curve, so I will keep it low profile. Enjoy to observe the beauty of the fishes and rocks. vn.

6. vincent843

vincent843 Plankton

Hi,
    Can You name a few name of low lights poly and mushroom. Also.. what do you feed them. What is coral frag? Thanks. vn.

7. Craig Manoukian

Bulls eye mushrooms are very good in low light, as well as button polyps. Button Polyps come in a variety of species and colors. Go see wehat your loval fish store (LFS) has available.

Miy polyps and shrooms just mostly filter feed as I have a well established tank with live sand and live rock. Lots of infauna and phytoplankton for them to feed on. You can supplement with live phytoplankton you can get from the LFS. DTs is a good brand.

A coral frag is when you cut a part of a coral and poropogate another animal bt attaching it to another rock. Forced colonization if you will. Much like grafting a tree.

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Hey, you just need 17 more posts to qualify for the ClamsDirect gift certificate!

10. vincent843

vincent843 Plankton

Hi, forced colonization? What is the procedure? Any sources or link can I get more infor? Thanks.vn