I am such an idiot

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Josh1215, Feb 16, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Josh1215

Josh1215 Astrea Snail

So I got home today from work last night (I worked two 30+ hour shifts this weekend, so from Friday-Monday about 65 hours) and checked the tank. Things looked fine, except the water level was a bit low from evaporation. I figured hey why not top it off, its been a few days...stupidly, I didnt check my salinity or kH beforehand...

I dumped in a whole wack of fresh RO/DI top off water, did some skimmer maintenance, fed some reef roids and fuel, and came upstairs to go to bed.

I woke up an hour later to get a drink and the tank was a disaster!

Everything which an hour earlier was super, was shriveled, etc...I checked my salinity and it had plummeted to 1.022 by refractometer, my kH had dropped to about 6...

Did some emergency adds of high salinity water to raise it back to 1.025/26...and put in some aquavitro 8.4 and reef fusion carnbonate alk. dkH up to around 9...and salinity now stable...

the inhabitants are not going to like the swing but i figured better to get it back to where they were very happy. I am such a dumbass for screwing everything up in a matter of seconds when its taken me months and thousands to build. Lesson learned. UGH!

And ive gotten no sleep!

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You sir need an ATO.
    That is indeed a big drop in Alk.

Mine arrives today.

I work too much as well. Topping off twice a day to keep it consistent. Right now 1/3 of gallon/day on a 20 I can only imagine what your evaporation is.

Get some sleep and then MarineDepot.

tattoolew and mdbostwick like this.
  4. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

remember Josh the top off is not going to effect your salinity so your SG being low means that your WC water is low when doing your change.
    The ALK ya was probably low and then the top off dropped it even more.

A quick drop in salinity is handled better than a quick rise(just keep that in mind for future).

Swisswiss, mdbostwick and Corailline like this.
  5. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I second the ATO. It is one piece of equipment which no one should live without.

zesty likes this.
  6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I need one for my coffee maker.:)

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

1.022 doesn't sound that bad. Alk 6 maybe. Many flourishing reef tank are at 7. I've seen them.

As said, the top off shouldn't lower the SG, only maintain it from rising.

I hope all your stuff turns out OK.

I DIY my ATO- simple, cheap, works flawless, etc.- gravity and a few float valves.

chris adams likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Josh1215

Josh1215 Astrea Snail

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. Everyone is ok! just took about a week to recover...we're back at 1.025 and an alk around 8.5-9...everyone is happy...

I will look into an ATO but I dont have a lot of room where the tank is (its in my living room and I dont want a giant piece of equipment in here!)....How do ATOs work? Do they hang on the back? do you put them under the tank? I have never seen one

10. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

great news Josh! disaster averted - always a good thing

12. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Josh.. bump your build thread I want to look at it.

ATO are small units with small pumps. The only room that is really going to be taken up is the top off water jug. Who tops off the tank when you are working all those hours? Wouldn't it be nice to have 1 less thing to worry about. Helps keep things stable.

DSC reef and mdbostwick like this.