I am probably going to be disowned for this

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by gabbyr189, Nov 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

I have an idea. My tank is only about a year and 3 months old. I have had a nitrate problem ever since (Btw 10 and 20 ppm). I do 25% water changes every week or two, and these are still my levels. Now it is widely known among the reefer community that nitrates = bad. It is also believed that if things are doing well, you shouldn't go and change them. I recently gave up on trying to solve this problem. I gave up because I realized I was trying hard to fix something that I realized wasn't giving me any problems. It is stable.

LPS and soft corals don't really do all that well in my tank. But SPS does better than amazing, with a couple exceptions. I lost track of the number of species of SPS I have growing in my tank. Actually I just counted. Its 27 plus some duplicates. 10 of which are on my frag rack, but are still doing well. Most weren't put up there for any other reason than I ran out of room for them. 2 are not doing well (1 had some objections to lighting changes and hasn't come out of it).

It seems that many people have a hard time with SPS. I always wonder, why? I don't do anything, knowingly, for my SPS (besides lighting). I don't even dose calcium, I guess the water changes account for that. Whenever people post their levels in response to a problem, I usually see "Nitrates: 0".

Please do not disown or yell at me for saying this. Its just an observation. I really like this forum. Is it possible that a flat out 0 for nitrates may not be a good thing?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

I completely understand what you're saying. If you're nitrates are at a certain level but you aren't having any problems then just try and keep them stable and not too out of hand. But it is a fact that Nitrates are somewhat toxic (not nearly as much as ammonia or nitrite) to the corals and fish in an aquarium. Maybe that is why you aren't able to keep softies or LPS? Maybe the SPS are just able to tolerate the nitrate levels better. 10-20ppm nitrate levels aren't horrible, and if things are working out for you then go for it just make sure they don't spike out of control. Glad to hear you can keep SPS, I tried and they did great under my T5's but then I downsized to a nano and went to compacts and I had to sell them :(

4. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

"If it aint broke, don't fix it!" That is one rule to live by. If the SPS are doing alright and you are happy with it, then leave it alone. Happy reefing lol :)

5. Reefing Madness

Reefing Madness Skunk Shrimp

Its usually Softies and LPS that like alittle Trates, not the other way around. But why not. If its working, leave it alone.

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

7. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

ive always heard stable is better than constantly changing and trying to get to 0 not to mention 20ppm really isnt that bad....i know prime locks up nitrites and ammonia so that they are in a non toxic state they could do the same for nitrate not sure look into it maybe....ive always heard the other way around that softies and lps can tolerate less than perfect water parameters than sps but as for the lps and softies not doing well maybe its because your lighting may be too powerful for them....if you have any in your tank maybe try to lower them down in the tank or put in a slightly shaded area and see if you see an improvement

8. Click Here!

9. adicus

adicus Aiptasia Anemone

Have you considered adding a Crocea Clam? It would assist in reducing your nitrates, and add a little something extra to the aquarium.

10. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

The lps are all either on the sand level, or in direct shade. Only softies I have are numerous zoas. I think its my alk thats bothering them lately.. Are instant ocean reef crystals known to be low in alk?

Nope I haven't, but now that things are doing so well I'm scared to change them. Although, the thought of less water changes are nice.. but I just bought a pump to do them for me because I got so sick of them lol.

11. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

If your Nitrates are testing the same level all the time including when you are doing water changes I would suspect you may have a bad test kit. It happens more then you think. I would either bring a sample of water to my LFS or get another kit just to be sure you are not getting a false reading.;) What kind of test kit are you using?:confused:Also while clams may help reduce Nitrates they will also soak up Calcium like a sponge and if you are not dosing this would be a problem.

12. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

No big deal. You just won't have the best colors with the sps. They should still grow and do okay.