I Am New, Is This Ich? PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by lawenforcer, Jan 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lawenforcer

lawenforcer Plankton

Hello,
    I just set up my first tank a few days ago. I bought this tank off an individual and everything come with the tank. Including this Lionfish. I just noticed that it has several white spots on it. I am new to this but I tried to research ich. This looks like that might be whats on him. I sure do hope not. No sooner than I get into Saltwater, I would be getting out of it. He has been eating just fine and don't show any ill effects. PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

I don't think it's ick. Lionfish have a few white spots on them. If it had ick it would be an outbreak of small white spots. If it was ick, feed pieces of shrimp soaked in garlic guard.

Even if it was ick, it's not a big deal to want to get out of the hobby

4. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

Here is a picture of my stepson's tang when it had ick. I fed it mysis shrimp soaked in garlic guard and it went away after about a week

Attached Files:

5. lawenforcer

lawenforcer Plankton

Thanks

Thanks for the response, I sure do hope that it isn't ich. I guess I am just really concerned since I am new to this hobby. I wouldn't necessarily get out of it but this would be a bad start to a new hobby.

I appreciate anyone's opinion on this. Thanks

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

yeah! Bro if one bout of something is gonna get ya outta of the hobby and its ich, you're in the wrong hobby! This ain't cheap! that being said, ya just moved the tank, right? ya caused stress on the fish! i'm battling an ich battle right now and think im doing ok with garlic and herbtana! That being said, if you're serious about this hobby, relax, its ok! And read up on some newbie threads, and threads about ich! And what to do about it! Right now, if its eating congrats! keep it that way! And look into having a hospital tank and QT set up!

7. lawenforcer

lawenforcer Plankton

Re

Cosmo,
    Since you are dealing with this now. Do you think this is a case of Ich?

Yes, I am serious about the hobby and have done a lot of reading up on it. I just want to take care of this if it indeed ich. That's the only reason I am concerned. Just want to take care of the problem, if there is one. Don't want it to get out of control. Thanks

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Bro, i had a huge lionfish about 15 years ago that looked just like that! i don't see anything that looks like ich! One word of warning about these guys! Eventually they will eat everything in your tank tht fits in their mouth! And i mean everything! Mine was cool for years, i made sure to keep his tumm full then one day he just ate everything till he died on the bottom, with a tang hanging out his mouth and belly bulging with fish! By the time i got gloves on and cut him open, almost my entire tank was dead! A few of the smaller quicker guys made it but....!

shoot some more pic's for us to make sure! i'd keep light to a minimum for a few days to relieve stress!

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

and 'dealing" with ich isn't as easy as you'd like to think! you can't just add ich medication to a saltwater tank that will eliminate it! if you want to eliminate it, you have to remove the fish from your tank and leave it without fish for 8 weeks, while you treat all your fish! and inverts and corals and live rock dont survive the treatment!

or you can try garlic and herbtana, and just keep your reef low stocked and stress free and hope! that's what i'm doing! there's a theory that all reefs have ich and you can't avoid it, just help control it! i'm kinda of that school of thought! But read and then read more! Good luck and welcome! this site is the best! just wait till the experts chime in!;)

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

i guess if its a fish only tank you could treat it, but i;m guessing that guy comes from a bigger tank? If you have little live rock or no wish for corals in the near future you could treat it!

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

and no inverts!